Stoked_KX

Sep 7, 2001
I need some advice on which loading ramps are good and those ramps to avoid. The salesman at the dealership showed me one that folded out to the same width as the tailgate of my truck. One like this would be cool, but I'd like to know everyone else's opinion and ramp choice.

Any links to sites would be appreciated also.

Thanks! :cool:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I use a pretty much standard aluminum dirt bike ramp - except it's an 8' version. The 8' ramp reduces the angle of the ramp and it's a little easier to push the bike up. One of the folding versions would be nice but I'm too cheap. The ATV ramps are nice but take up too much room and I don't want anything permanently mounted to the tailgate.

Brian

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Talk about cheap, I use a 6'6" 2x8 with an eye bolt in it so I can use a tie down to the bumper to hold it in place!!!!

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
I like the wooden ramps better than the metal ones.

If you do use wood be sure to make sure its a PLANK! like thats used in scafolding, they don't flex like the other boards do.

There are some metal ends that will make it fit flat on the tailgate that are nice if you cant pick up the rear tire.....

I have seen a few nice home made metal ramps that people have ridden up with out bending too bad :eek:

biker

Sep 22, 2000
I use 2X10's with the metal ends added. I bought my metal ends at Northern, but I think you can also get them at Lowes or Home Depot.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I originally used a 2x8 - until I almost ended up in the ER because the bike came off the ramp. Yes, it was operator error. The alum ramps are nicer because it is soo much lighter and it has sides to somewhat guide the wheels - not idiot proof but at least a little easier. I added skateboard/stair grip tape to my ramp & have no problem with the tires spinning/sliding on the alum.

I think the ramp cost me $35 at the local shop.

Brian

moto1313

Oct 9, 2000
Use 2 ramps

I have an F-150 that is pretty high. I use 2 folding aluminum ramps-one to roll the bike on and one to walk up next to the bike with. I got the folding ramps at Sam's club-$60 each. It may be a bit pricey-but nothing is worse that dropping a $6,000 bike on your truck. It works real good.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I have a moose HD aluminum ramp that I got when I bought my bike. It has a key that attaches to the tail gate that keeps it in place. It nice and all, but I would use a wooden plank with grip tape on it if I had it to do again. The planks with the metal ends would work just fine for me. I almost bought an ATV ramp, but cost way to much. I wish that I did now( riding up would be so easy). I do want to ride my bike up my current ramp because there is too much room for error. I would end up hurting my self or the truck. There is a lot of sand in the area that I park in so its hard to get a run at it. I like the idea about the dual ramps. maybe I will just make a plank to run up. I a plasitc double step stool for that now.

xr600r

Apr 15, 2001
i use a fulton tri-fold aluminum ramp that i also use for my wifes quad ,
i can ride my bike right up it , and walk beside it back down . it is 15'' wide
folded up , and 50'' unfolded . i got it from www.northerntool.com
for about $150
:D

Top Bottom