MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Hey folks, wow, I can't believe how far things have come since my last bike (amazed with the whole forum thing).. I got my first bike (Honda XR100) back in 94 and after selling it 2 years later I never got another one.. :( After some stitches (something like 45/50 to be exact), the parents weren't too excited about me getting a bigger, faster bike so it kinda stopped there but Ive always wanted to get back into it (nothing like the thrill of riding a bike)…

After learning that a friend of mine rides, Ive been throwing the idea around to get a bike so I can go riding with him and his friends.. Ive been wanting to get another bike ever since I sold my XR100, but at the time it wasn't my decision.. I started looking at equipment the other night and its bringing back some good ol memories.. :yeehaw: Im really getting so stoked to get a ride..

Im in lower NY and Im justing wondering where the local spots were.. My friend rides on his own land but he is interested in some different terrain.. Any advice comments are appreciated..

thanks a million..

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Welcome to DRN! You've found the perfect place to start back into the sport! Hundreds of helpful people around here to help you get on the right bike and help you keep it in good condition! Plus you'll probably be able to find some riding buds around here, too!

If you're not sure which bike to get, go into the What Bike Do I Get...? forum.

Welcome aboard, you're gonna' like it here :thumb:

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
fender92883 said:
Welcome to DRN! You've found the perfect place to start back into the sport! Hundreds of helpful people around here to help you get on the right bike and help you keep it in good condition! Plus you'll probably be able to find some riding buds around here, too!

If you're not sure which bike to get, go into the What Bike Do I Get...? forum.

Welcome aboard, you're gonna' like it here :thumb:

Thanks bro.. Yeah, I love this whole forum idea.. I actually belong to one for my other passion, my car, and I can't believe how much it has helped me over the past 2 years with installing mods, and tracking down problems..

I see you have an XR200, a few years ago I was actually checking them out, but nothing ever came about it (money was a little tight and I didn't have any people to ride with).. How do you like the KDX200? Thats another trail bike, right? 2 stroke though?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Welcome back to dirtbikes. You'll find a lot of good information on DRN. The KDX200 is a great bike for getting back into riding. They start off mild, but can be modified to wild.

How low in "lower NY" are you?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Mayhem:

welcome to the site and back to dirtbikes. Check out the What Bike Do I Get... ? forum for many very good threads about bikes. They will save you the mistakes of getting a bike unsuited for the type of your intended riding.

BTW, the KDX is an excellent bike. :thumb: Check out Canadian Daves JustKDX for many good threads on the bikes.

Also check out the Damn Yankee Dirt Riders forum for times and dates for gatherings. They have a big on coming up the first weekend of May at Paragon. That might be a good place to meet a bunch of DRNers.

And last but not least, check out the DirtWeek 2004! (DW 2K4) forum for information on the family gathering coming this fall. It is in Stillwater OK and there is always a caravan of Damn Yankee Dirt Riders coming this way.

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Thanks guys.. This is really helpful.. I did some reading last night and Im starting to learn towards a 4stroke MX bike.. Though the KDX is also looking good.. The 4stroke MXs are a little more money but they carry the reliability that I enjoyed with my XR100..

Im located in lower westchester...mamaroneck.. Its right around yonkers, new rochelle, and white plains (just to name some of the bigger cities).. If youve ever been on 95 Im right near that random $1 toll..

Thanks again for all the help guys.. :)

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I use to live in Northern Westchester (Chappaqua) back in the early 80's. All of the old riding spots are gone. The old rail tracks that went from Yonkers to Yorktown are now a walking path. I would check with some local dearlers for riding spots. The guys in Millwood (Suzuki & Kawasaki dealership) were good guys back in the day. There was also a large Honda dealership on Rt6.

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
RV6.. I know that Millwood dealership.. I actually went there to check out a KX100 after I sold the XR100.. Are there any good spots over in NJ? I have no bones to travel around the NY/CT/NJ area.. I was planning on hitting up e-town for the mx track.. I saw that they had a beginners track with some small jumps which is perfect for now..

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
If you don't mind driving, there any many places to ride in NJ ond PA. Jack Frost, Paragon and Rauch Creek are in the Poconos. NJ has E-town, Chadsworth and a few others. I'm not sure about NY & CT, but if you find any thing (legal) there let me know because I still have family in that area and I'd like to bring my bike with me when I go visiting.

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
RV... I found one place in the NY area.. right off exit 17 on 87.. If you've ever been on 87, its the exit right after the woodbury commons.. Apparently this place is privately owned, and pretty big.. Its about 1hour 10mins from me on the highway..

http://www.atvny.com

When I find some more good stuff around the NY area Ill let you know.. BTW..Whats the deal with clubs, do you guys on DNR setup any local day trips? i saw the trip planned down at Paragon, but I was wondering if you guys ever do day trips..

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
There are national DRN events such as Dirtweek and Reno to name a few. There are also local gatherings as well, but these usually evolve out when a local chapter member (such as Damn Yankee Dirt Riders) says "May looks good for a Spring ride at Paragon" or someone saying “I’m going to such-n-such track in two weeks, does any one want to go”...and there you have a local gathering.

Most local rides are announced in the Places To Ride forum and the DYDR forum.

Top Bottom