KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I had to sit this one out, so was looking for results on line - they are up already!:

http://www.moto-tally.com/nepg/Results.asp?EY=2009&EID=9&OCID=O0&vT=Summary

Lafferty has his work cut out for him going into the last round.!

DRN riders did well...some I spotted in the results:

Congrats to Silver for one heck of a great ride! 1st B Vet, 5th B overall! Sounds like CR250@winters had a bad day - hope the knee heals up. Looks like Poe DNFed...dunno what was up there.

TJ got a 2nd B Open. Phast Freddie 1st super senior! Looks like Bruno DNFed

Salgeek- congrats on a 1st B Senior.

Smit Dog 3rd B 2 Hunny

Eric Smith (a buddy of mine..not a DRN poster) got 1st C-Senior!

Megan survived her first Moose...

Boy I wish I could of made this one. Oh well.

Now...we need some bench racing...how was it guys?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I rained very hard Sat night and we had a lingering mist for the first 2 sections, then it cleared up, was cloudy for a while and got sunny and hot by the finish. The "C" loop was good and challenged the riders, the "B" loop was really gnarly, we rode the mountain section 5.

Arrowing was great, I had a trail to follow all day on row 10. The ferns were high, especially the first two sections.

We got to ride that grass track from last years start at the end of section 4, which was cool as Russel passed me in it and it was impressive to see how fast the 250 could go.

Grant Rivard my daughters boy friend got C HI Point and a really cool directors chair for his trohpy. :cool:

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Nice Ride Freddy! Good job to both you and Grant! :cool:

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Yam7M said:
Nice Ride Freddy! Good job to both you and Grant! :cool:
Sorry I didn't get you that drink, Al Randt didn't let me off the clock til 8 pm figured you'd be gone by then.
Hope the ride went well!

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
I was on minute 46. This was my first time up there and it was quite a ride! Soil conditions were great. I got hung up a couple times early on and took a lot of wind out of my sails. Got to the first restart with 3 minutes to spare but was late to all of the rest of them which added up. The first big rock climb a couple guys crashed in front of me and I lost all momentum and tried to climb it without getting a run at it - big mistake. That took a LOT of energy out of me. My computer died at 11 miles (sensor wire looks like) so I didn't have mileage info all day and was going by my backup watch for time. I knew I was cutting it close at the end and was trying to balance between riding fast enough to finish but slow enough to not make stupid mistakes in my exhausted state. Made it to check 8 with 4 minutes to spare. I was just happy to finish in my hour - and happy that it was over! Section 4 was like a junk yard when I went through there - there were at least 8 guys stopped sprawled out on the ground through there. A guy at mile 35 broke his leg. There were a few out of gas and one that couldn't get his bike started. Several looked like they were just out of energy. Looking forward to next year though now that I have an idea what the terrain is like and a better understanding of how to tackle those monster rocks!

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
tdunn976 said:
Sorry I didn't get you that drink, Al Randt didn't let me off the clock til 8 pm figured you'd be gone by then.
Hope the ride went well!

HA! I did see Bob Bergman and Joe Mapes' brother Paul...but that's it. Had a good time. We didn't get back to the hotel until after 1:00 a.m. or so. The trail was perfect on Sat. I can't imagine what it was like on Sunday. We peddled just under 50 miles. OUCH! The beers were a flowin' afterwords at the Wooden Nickel. Had fun. Hope you did too.

racer493

Mar 30, 2003
My take on the Loose Moose is that the club is at it again, after two years of putting on a great race they went back to trying to hurt the riders. Their was barely any time to rest at gas and I only had two minuets before the A loop. I was totally disappointed in the race they put on. I am refusing to participate in anymore of their races in the future, and if I had a vote I would vote them out of District 14. Without having time to rest between sections I ended up crashing like twenty times in the A loop, I could have gotten seriously hurt and I have to be to work on Monday and it’s not worth racing a race where they are trying to hurt you. I do not blame the weather conditions for this because the rain didn’t affect the trails at all. It’s the clubs responsibility to put on a good event and they failed miserably. I gave them another chance after the last time they did this to us, but from here on out I will spend my money elsewhere

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
racer493 said:
My take on the Loose Moose is that the club is at it again, after two years of putting on a great race they went back to trying to hurt the riders. Their was barely any time to rest at gas and I only had two minuets before the A loop. I was totally disappointed in the race they put on. I am refusing to participate in anymore of their races in the future, and if I had a vote I would vote them out of District 14. Without having time to rest between sections I ended up crashing like twenty times in the A loop, I could have gotten seriously hurt and I have to be to work on Monday and it’s not worth racing a race where they are trying to hurt you. I do not blame the weather conditions for this because the rain didn’t affect the trails at all. It’s the clubs responsibility to put on a good event and they failed miserably. I gave them another chance after the last time they did this to us, but from here on out I will spend my money elsewhere

WOW, not quite sure what to say. Sorry you feel that way. Seriously. Many people invested long hours of their personal time to put on this event. I guess all I can say as a club member, and someone who personally helped clear trail and arrow the "Mountain" section, that I DID NOT in any way as you say, "trying to hurt the riders". Again, sorry you didn't enjoy the event. I'm sure some others will chime in on this.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Something to realize is that NEPG does have some input on the time schedule. The clubs and the promoters try to challenge everyone with the trail and the time schedules. It is a VERY difficult balancing act. I also know a number of people who did not realize that there was 1.5 miles of technical trail to get to the start of the A/B section at the Loose Moose.

PoeBrian

Oct 10, 2002
My favorite quote of the weekend was from Fred T. describing how he felt riding the last B section on the mountain-- "If I would have had a gun on me I would have blown my head off!!!"

Awesome ride Silver!!! You rode faster than Fredette in Sect. 2!!!

Easy there racer!, I'm sure not one of the Sandstormers layed out the course thinking they wanted to hurt someone. I think we would all agree that a little over-dramatic! It was just a tough race!

Cr250winters--Hope the knee isn't anything to serious! Heal up soon!

Orangewoods--One of his best rides!. Just missed trophy by 5 sec. He brought a newbie to race for 1st time on a 90's XR400. I think we have a new rider hooked!!! He was in 1st in C sen. until problems w/fuel 5 miles from end! It was fun to see him so pumped!

Absolutely awesome how fast they got scores out and trophy's done!
Great to see such a large turnout! I'd love to hear the attendence stat's.

Very bad day for me. Just didn't have it Felt like I was riding w/a straight jacket on. We'll go get'em next time!

Last edited:

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
2009 LM was big fun for me. I've ridden the LM every year since 2006 and this was my favorite. The variety and mix of trail that the club used was perfect in my opinion. Arrowing and signage was excellent. I thought the mountain section of the course was phenomenal. I'd drive 1,000 miles round trip to do it again this weekend. This B rider had BIG fun - Thank you Sandstormers!

... and the MM was Great. 30+ plus miles of smooth woods trail!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Salgeek - tell FMF that I owe him the oldest rider award....the beer of his choice payable at the Baby Bear. I could not find his MM entry form to verify his age.

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
I signed in 202 entries into the mototally computers for Sundays ride. Not bad concidering the challenges to get there for some.
C riders were happy to be done at cutoff.
A-B loop and the 1.6 miles to restart was explained at riders meeting and I tried to explain as you came in from the loop to gas,sorry if I missed some especially the early #'s before I was told to physically stop everyone!

dbkidcraig

Nov 6, 2006
While the rain did make the rocks very slippery it did make for great dirt conditions. Loose Moose did not go very well for me. I had lost compression in my ktm at jackpine so I was scrambling to get parts to rebuild my bike before the race. I recieved my cylinder and topend on the thurs before, threw it together on friday and found out something was still wrong because I wasn't able to kickstart my bike. So I figured out I could get it push started and hoped for the best. My bike made it to the finish but the lower end knock is louder the the exhuast. I had a pretty good race going even though my bike was running like crap. The early minuite helped. I got tackled by my bike going off one of the moon rocks in the 4th section. After that it took me 5 or 6 tries to get my bike push started (talk about aking the wind out of the sails). The final B section was brutal with a bike that did not have any power. I was able to finsh though and scrap up a few B overall points. All in all good ride... can't wait for next year.

whitebear

Sep 17, 2007
For the first Moose...it was a great! The course was challenging all day long and really kept you on your toes...I will be back! Thanks everyone!

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
racer493 said:
...slam...
Pretty tough words there.

Sorry the event wasn't up to your personal standards. Thanks for the constructive information on how to make the event better in the future. [/sarcasm]

And, VERY SERIOUSLY, I am personally insulted that you accuse us of intentionally trying to hurt riders. Nothing could be further from the truth. I certainly hope that after you cool down that you'll not only retract that statement, but will apologize to everyone that worked so hard to try to put on a good event.

Last edited:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Thanks to everyone that came to the MM and LM. We enjoyed having you all there.

BIG THANKS to the many people that lent us a hand at the events, your help was greatly appreciated! I'm proud to call you folks my friends!

I appreciate the many encouraging comments and feedback about the events. It's nice to know that people appreciate the work and effort. It's also nice to know that most enjoyed themselves. No matter how you felt about either of the events, we'd appreciate constructive comments about what we did right or wrong, and what you think we can do to put on even better events in the future. Feel free to email us: UP Sandstormers

Last edited:

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
i had a blast, dirt was perfect, couldn't ask for better conditions. i even enjoyed the slippery rocks (my tire choice was perfect). the only thing i didn't like was after you were already worn out, then you head to the mountain. i would have liked to be able to enjoy the tough trail, but i couldn't hang on anymore. if the mountain was earlier i would have had more fun.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Sorry I had to miss this event - This is absolutely one of Cody's and myself personal favorites! :ride:

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Another great event in my opinion, always love the Moose. I had problems with goggles fogging this year and then the big crash. I managed to ride until the gas stop, but was only about 50%. I'll be back again next year. Just got home last night after spending a few days in the U.P. My knee is still swelled up like a grape fruit, might make a trip to the doc today I guess since getting around is getting to be a pain in the knee!

Great job Sandstormers! You can't please em all, but I think you have pleased the majority! See you next time! :cool:

nickolino

Feb 21, 2008
:ride: Azzhole, I miissed you I don't know why since you won't socilize. But the fish was good. Freddy forgot the ckikin, No flippin cake. And to make matters worse Enduro Chairman Frank Shipwreck Set up the MOMMY PHONE on top of one of Jacks rocks. And there was a big line mostly because Racer493 Was on it wining. To all that came thankyou it was as good as it gets. Alot of people were saying to me if you were not have fun today sell your motorcycle I agreed.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Hey balloon foot, you had some flippin' birthday cake your lovely wife made you with strawberry topping so that counts!

see you at rozelog nudie race

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Photos!

Lots of photos of the MiniMoose and of the LooseMoose

CLICK HERE

There's info on the site if you wish to purchase one. I bought some last year, and although they are a bit distorted on the computer (I think to keep from being stolen), they are VERY clear prints. :cool:

Top Bottom