MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I have heard that Travis Pastrana has a set of lowered foot pegs because he is so tall. I am 6'3" and I'm sure I qualify for "tall". I looked at some video of myself riding and I look all cramped up. Will lowering my footpegs help my body position enough to make a difference? I never thought of lowering them. Also, does anybody else know how much they are lowered?

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Travis's pegs are only lowered and moved back about 15mm or so. You'll need to have the mounts rewelded. Another option that might be easier is to get taller seat foam. The YZ is more cramped than the other bikes, though.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, My bike is a '96 and the bars are set back pretty far stock. I went out and swapped my top triple clamps for 2000 YZ top clamps. The '00 clamps are much farther forward and make a BIG difference, but I'm still cramped. I could probably use some taller bars like you said. The bars I have now are '98 YZ low bend. The seat foam being taller..... won't that make the bike a little more prone to kicking me when I ride it?

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
Mike,

I have the same issue. I am also 6'3 and I just got the Tag CR Double Hi fat bars with the universal mounts. WOW, what a difference. I feel so much better standing up. Give them a shot, they are the tallest bars on the market @ 115mm rise plus another ~19mm for the universal mount.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by fmfkx125372
Mike,

I am also 6'3 and I just got the Tag CR Double Hi fat bars with the universal mounts. WOW, what a difference. I feel so much better standing up

Is it that your back is just straighter or what? I (mistakenly) bought a set of '98 YZ LOW Renthal bars when I got my bike. I guess I should have got the high bend. Does the high bar effect your steering in a good way or bad way?

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by MikeT
Also, does anybody else know how much they are lowered?

One method that is use is to move the upper peg mount to the opposite side of the lower peg mount so the peg moves down and back about and inch or so.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Re: Re: Lowered Footpegs?

Originally posted by Anssi

One method that is use is to move the upper peg mount to the opposite side of the lower peg mount so the peg moves down and back about and inch or so.

What do you mean by "upper peg mount". My pegs just have a pivot peg holding them on to the frame mount..... Could you explain further?

Anssi

May 20, 2001
The pegs are often mounted to the frame so that there are two hinges or extrusions or whatever on the frame, in between which you put the peg and then put a pin through the whole thing.

The pegs can be moved down and back by separating one of those extrusions from the frame and welding it on the opposite side of the other one.

I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about and will elaborate, my English doesn't stretch much beyond this.

BTW, I'm not sure how well this would work for me (6'4"), since even now my pegs sometimes scrape the ground.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
MikeT, Anssi hit the nail on the head, I did the same thing to my 400f, and it works very well along with an Emig or RG3 triple clamp to move the bars forward. If you need more explanation let me know.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I'de give anything to be 6'3"! Try standing up when you are 6'8"! It just ain't gonna happen. I make this 250 look like an 80.

Where do you guys get your bars and seat foam? Does Dennis Kirk have this stuff or is there a better place?

Micah

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by billywho
MikeT, Anssi hit the nail on the head, I did the same thing to my 400f, and it works very well along with an Emig or RG3 triple clamp to move the bars forward. If you need more explanation let me know.

I do. I will be going home to look at my bike tomorrow to get a better look at what he's talking about..... I don't have a picture of it in my head. Is what he is describing cutting the peg mounts off the frame and then having them rewelded on the opposite sides? If so, is that safe? Please explain, I am interested.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
To clarify what Anssi was saying about moving the footpegs, I think I have the idea:

there are two posts that come out from the frame for each footpeg. Cut the top post (mount) off, and weld it on the opposite side of the bottom post than where it was, at the same distance. This will move the footpegs down/back.

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
Mike T.

I think that the taller bars have helped me in the corners as well as standing up. What I meant about feeling better standing up was that now in the attack position, I am now able to flex at the elbows some instead of keeping them straight. It gave me much more leverage to attack while standing up. With the lower bars, my arms were straight and all the stress was on my back.

While sitting, the taller bars force my elbows to stay up, as with the lower bars I had the tendency to droop my elbows when I got tired.

I was thinking about lowering my pegs, but I changed my mind because I like the ground clearance and don't want to risk breaking a foot anytime soon...:D

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I lowered my footpegs by moving the spring from the bottom to the top, and hacksawing/welding as necessary. That gave me about 15mm, and is quite noticable, and generally good. The exception being in rutted or extreme off camber corners where I often get my inside foot knocked off the peg. No injuries or anything because of it, but it's something that would be even more noticable if they were moved the whole inch by moving the top mount.

Also, before spending $xxx on triple clamps, try something simple like getting a couple of spare top clamps for your handlebars and putting them under the bars as spacers. That will make the bars an inch or so higher. With high bars (eg CR hi orJimmy Button bend renthals), would probably be 2" or more higher than yz low bend...

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Just remember that the taller you raise the bar clamps, the close the bars are moving back to you. That's why I recommend an aftermarket triple clamp that moves the bar clamps forward, so you can get away with higher bars/clamps without them pushing back too far.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
True Cam. It looks like my method has moved the clamp position about 20mm higher and 8mm closer to me. There's something for me to work on, though my bars feel pretty comfortable now :). I'd like to try a new triple clamp to find if there's a more "perfect" position, then send it back and weld up a bracket to achieve the same thing for a total cost of $0 :).

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Hey guys i didnt want to make another thread on this but has anyone tried the RG3 tri clamp yet? Im thinking about it and was just wondering what your thoughts are on it? Thx
Marc

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Never tried it, the price outweighs the practicality. It's a nice looking clamp, but you can get one that works just as well for $100 less from Applied.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Alright Cam thx. I was wondering if i should even get a tri clamp. I waa going to get the RG3 if anything, but you are probably right.
It's a nice looking clamp, but you can get one that works just as well for $100 less from Applied
Thanks.
Marc

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I bought some Fat bars in a CR-Hi bend and used Renthal adapters on my stock triple clamp. Made a HUGE difference. This week, I'm going to try the footpeg mod on my old stock pegs. I'll take some pics so you guys will have an idea of what's involved.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Red is 6'4" and runs Tag CR double hi bars to help. In a magazine or MX paper last night I saw foot peg adjusters that move the pegs lower for taller riders. I think it was in the most recent issue of Cycle News. I'll take a look tonight and see if I can find more info.

Billy - what have you done to your 450 to make it more "tall rider" friendly? Taller seat foam? RG3 triple clamp with forward bar mounts?

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
I know that I have cased some jumps, where I land right on the peak of the landing, and actually contacted my foot with the ground (heel actually).

It seems if you lower the pegs, the chances of this is greater. Now mayby I was riding too much on the balls of my feet and my ankle flexed too much, but it does happen.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Red is 6'4" and runs Tag CR double hi bars to help. In a magazine or MX paper last night I saw foot peg adjusters that move the pegs lower for taller riders. I think it was in the most recent issue of Cycle News. I'll take a look tonight and see if I can find more info.

I believe that Fastway footpegs can be adjusted by adding or taking away "shims" here is a better explanation.
http://www.mountainspeed.com/fastway/footpegs/#

They look to be pretty nice footpegs and have only heard good things about them. They also are very wide, which will absorb more impact instead of your foot absorbing the impact.
Marc

trivial

Feb 14, 2002
I think that Fastway also has "Lowboy" footpegs, which are a little lower (and maybe back a little). I haven't seen the information on the sight but I know that I have seen it somewhere. I plan on getting some in the future. I am 6'6" and so far have added the Applied clamps and Carmicheal bend Fatbars (the CR bends have to much sweep for my taste). This has been the best mod I have made so far...I couldn't believe the difference it made!

Top Bottom