Lowering link: What does it change?

Mark Parsons

May 10, 2000
I recently installed a White Bros. lowering link on my XR600. I'm just curious how it affects my suspension since I'm sure the leverage has changed due to the longer link. It lowered seat height by about 3/4 inch. What affect does this have on preload, damping, handling characteristics, etc. ?

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Mark,
I don't actually know other than it gave you less wheel travel! I'm curious how it works becuase it could have done several things. Do you know if the fender will hit the wheel or is the total shaft travel avaliable?
Regards,
Jer

Mark Parsons

May 10, 2000
It did not appear to have any effect on the shaft travel itself, but did raise the swingarm up a little, hence the lower seat height.

MCMAN56

Sep 5, 2000
I made a longer link for a KDX200. To determine the length, I removed the shock spring and let the suspension collapse. Then I rigged up longer links to see how low I could go with out hitting anything. (The amount the shock bumper compresses is one disturbing unknown.) I used the dimension from the rigged up link to build final links. The seat dropped more than one inch. I have jumped it several feet in the air and it seems to perform pretty much the same. Now I need to lower the forks. The interesting part was when I removed the fork springs to check clearance. Well my aftermarket fork boots bottomed before the forks did. They stole about one inch of trave.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
I lowered my GasGas XC the same amount with 1mm longer pull rods. Has little effect on anything but ride height. You may have to compensate by raising the forks slightly to get the steering response back, unless like my bike, it was super quick to start with.

Top Bottom