straughn

Aug 31, 2009
Working on a 1986 KDX 200 that has sat for a few years. It has a weak spark and I want to make sure all the electrical components are clean and in good shape. I am trying to remove the magneto with 0 success so far. I called Fredette Racing about the special Kawasaki puller and they suggested making a plate for the 3 screws and using a bolt/nut combiation to pull the unit. It won't budge. I tried soaking the shaft/magneto with WD40 and still no success. I am afraid to use an impact driver because I might damage or bend the shaft. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
as long as your puller is secure and square an air impact would work really well in this case, these flywheels are really stuck after so many years and come loose with a huge BANG!! its kinda scarey when it releases. just tighten by hand (wrench)as much as you can then hit it with the air impact...it would be good to hold the flywheel with something other than your hand as the energy released with the bang might sting like hell!!

good luck

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
All what sr5 said, plus you might try tapping the flywheel with a plastic or rubber mallet once you get it under pressure. Tapping with a hammer could knock the magnets loose.

I would lay the bike on its side and soak overnight or longer with something like Liquid Wrench instead of the WD40.

Not surprised to hear it is very stuck on there; that was how my '84 was when I removed it, and the bike was only like 4 years old at the time.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I used a steering wheel puller on mine before getting the factory tools. I used it upside down with some bolts that did not thread far down into the area behind the flywheel. I used some washers to space things out properly.

You may want to look up the rope trick or buy a Steahly lock up tool to keep the flywheel from turning.

PB Blaster is a penetrating oil.

Use a socket head bolt in the end of the crankshaft to keep the end of any tools or pullers from marring the crankshaft end.

Oh, and DO NOT tap on the flywheel itself, only the puller end.

Motion Pro makes pullers of that style.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
It's probably OK to do some tapping with a plastic or rubber mallet, just don't go crazy on it with a ball peen hammer. You don't want to break / detach / demagnetize the magnets in that rotor cup.

I think I got a tool for pulling it off of ebay / dennis kirk. It was cheap. If I recall correctly, it's just more or less a high grade bolt with proper thread (which I think is a big size, but a standard thread).

+1 on the alarming noise... I popped one off a KLR-250, and thought I broke the crank based on the minor explosion that went off when I finally got it to let go...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom