Maintenance routine on a 400 EXC?

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
Hi all,
I've got a 2002 400 EXC on order and can hardly wait to get out and ride. My only nagging worry concerns the RFS maintenance requirements. Coming from an XR400, I'm used to minimal maintenance and don't know how to do a lot of stuff that others on this forum seem to do quite easily. If I don't have the time or inclination to work a lot on my bike, will I be disappointed with the KTM? I'm OK with light stuff and learn fast, but can't spend hours in the garage. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
hours in the garage is not something you'll spend unless you do no maintenence. the RFS require's no more maintenece than any other motor. no you can't go 3 months or 3000 miles between oil changes but you will find it pretty easy (after the first couple) to change the oil, tighten spokes and other chassis and engine bolts. i'm sure that even your xr400 required an oil change every now and then? with the help from this great forum, even a valve adjustment can done by a first timer.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
KTM sent out an excellent video with all 2001 models(EXC200) showing you exactly what to do including service and suspension set-up. Even I got the message with pictures ! Try and blag or order one.

Oil changes need to be more regular cos you're only running 1.2 litres(UK) of oil in the sump. The two filter changes(replace) and two screens(clean) are easy enough to do.

Your bike may come with the video. We also get an attache case in the UK with loads of info,service book, parts books etc. I would think its the same in the US.

Buying KTM is like a proper bike buying experience after purchasing Jap bikes and having to pay for all extra's !!!

I know how it feels....I'm waiting for my 520.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I just did my first oil change. It took me a few extra, but I expect it will become like second nature. :) I have to take my skid plate off and laying the bike down adds a few.

I went out and bought some new tools to make the job easier, like a socket based Allen set. The air filter is easy to get to, I think I will buy an extra so I can clean it latter on and still be able to play.

I think you will be happy;)

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
On the KTM video, they lay the RFS over to the floor, on the kick start side, so they can get to the two filter covers. Once the filters are removed, they use a suction pump(like a turkey baster!) on the remains of dirty oil in the bottom of the filter housings. New filters in. Then add a similar amount of fresh oil to the filter housings and re-fit the filter covers. The video is fool proof!

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Keep an eye on the heim bearing housing where the ridge on the mudflap rubs against the housing. In no time, that ridge will cut/hacksaw a very nice groove clear through your bearing housing and then its BIG BUCKS for repair.

Erider makes a heim bearing housing protector or you can glue a piece of foam between the housing and the mudflap, or even take a grinder and grind the ridge off that rubs on the housing.

Some people even wrap the housing and lower part of the shock with a piece of rubber tubing from a tire tube.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
I'm quite happy to make a copy of the video but we use 'VHS' standard in the UK and I think you have a different TV 'line' set-up as well.

Contacting KTM at

www.ktm.at

may get some answers.

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
KTM 400 Maintenance...

Hey,

I've had my 2001 400 MXC about 6 months and can tell you what I've found. Not much really! You learn to change the oil (buy the Scott's aftermarket stainless steel filters, it'll save you money!) after the first 2 tries. Tighten everything visible one time. Specifically the shifter, shock mounts, motor mounts, spokes (I ordered the 6.8mm wrench from Scott's), triple clamps, chain guides, kick stand, countersprocket, and the like. Compared to your XR, it is a whole new world. Good luck.

Paul

SlowJack

Jul 27, 2000
I'm an old XR guy myself. KTM took some getting used to, but after the first few months, maintenance is no big deal. The usual, like air filter cleaning and oil changes. KTM manual reccommends oil changes every 25 liters, which is every 10 tanks of gas, about 400 miles or so. That's not so bad, no worse than an XR. Mostpeople tend to change the oil more than necessary. Use synthetic or semi-synthetic oil and you have no worries about viscosity breakdown, just dirtiness. Scott's stainless steel filters are a bargain in the long run. Get an Enduro Engineering stainless steel clutch line.

The only thing I noticed was that fork seals didn't last as long, but they are not a big deal to replace yourself if you can get someone to show you how. But the last set of fork seals I put in have lasted pretty well. Get some neoprene booties for your forks which will help keep grit out of the seals. Clean your "dust scrubbers" regularly and you should have little problem.

Soon I hope to be able to post the magic carburetor changes for the 2001 400 EXC that will reduce or eliminate the low-speed hiccup and slow pull. The 2002 is better, but not perfect. BTW, I own a 2001 and have ridden my buddy's 2002... the 2002 is noticeably stronger on the low end and middle, about 2 HP better I would guess. For the 2001, forget the Factory R&D accelerator pump plate... don't waste your money, it is completely ineffective. Several changes to the 2002 carburetor that make it run much better.

For the best KTM aftermarket parts I have ever found, check out e-rider at:
www.erider.ws/products.htm
Everything they make is top-drawer and their customer service is second to none. Their stuff will definitely make your life simpler and reduce maintenance time. Pay particular attention to the heim joint protector, wheel spacers (stockers will last no time at all), wheel bearings and seals, and slave cylinder protector.

Slow Jack from Tennessee

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Why didn't you ask this question BEFORE you bought the bike?

No, it is not a Honda XR. The oil must be changed much more often, it must be synthetic, and you've got a handful of plugs and filters to deal with. RTFM.

The valves are screw adjuster like on the XRs, a maintenance plus over the Yamaha 4 stroke.

It irks me to see this bellyaching post. The RFSs are a major leap ahead of the Hondas, and a marginal leap ahead of the Yamaha and Suzuki 4 strokes.

No such thing as a free lunch as they say.

Top Bottom