KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Something you don't see a lot of these days is a followup report on products, so I thought I'd post this in case someone is doing tire research. This is a mini review of sorts on the Maxxis MaxxCross IT and having come to the "flipping point", I'm ready to report what know about this tire so far.

First of all, given that I plan on changing tires about twice a year, I'm not overly concerned with the mileage factor...but I have exactly 135 miles on this tire and it's ready to be flipped. For those familiar with the East TN trail, I ride mostly Winrock on the Lake City side and I've seen mostly mud, loam, and creek-type rocks this season so far.

COST: $42 at rockymountainatv.com

SIZE: 110X100X18

PERFORMANCE: The tire is very sure footed in this terrain and I have yet to spin excessively going up some pretty long hills that could be classified as "four stroke" hills; you know, the type where you can't really get out of 2nd gear. In crossing creeks on slippery rocks, the tire, once again is sure footed. I've also had to cross several downed trees and logs and this tire will negotiate the obstacle well without simply "sliding" down or following the log.
The tire does, however slip a bit in very loamy conditions where an all out soft terrain tire would be better.

WEAR/LIFE: It looks like this tire will be thru at just about 200 miles, which ain't half bad. That includes flipping the tire at 135 miles. Also, about 25 miles so far has been on either paved or graveled road. There has been not noticeable chunking so far.

CONCLUSION: A very good tire for the money and I would definitely recommend it! (Although I plan on trying the SurCross next.)

muggy

Feb 9, 2003
Yeah, I run windrock alot and would describe it as mostly rock. You might do a bit better by bumping the pressure up a little to 16-17 psi. Not a bad idea up at windrock anyway, what with all the rock and the distance back to the truck if you catch a pinchflat.

I'm considering getting a second rear wheel, so i can run a 6 ply el-cheapo up on that rock and save my softer tires for racing.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I have a maxxis IT on the rear as well. Got mine from the same place and same price as above. I notice its a bit squirly on the hardpack that I ride it. I did not notice it slipping in the sand. I have about 3 rides on it (around 100 miles or so) One ride was muddy and tacky clay soil. I was loving it! The other to have been dry hardpack and sand. Smaller rocks. Its realy not ready for flipping just yet. The only thing negative that I can say is that I've had trouble getting the bead to seat on one side. Other than that I realy like it and will proably replace it with another one when it wears out. I'm taking the bike up into the mountain this weekend. Rocks and roots. It should be fun. I will see how it holds up. That should put the total up around 175 miles on one side.

Last edited:

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Here is a report on the Maxxis 6001's I installed this spring:
The rear hooks up really good in any conditions and I am quite impressed with the wear factor also. I have been riding river bottoms and hard pack roads. So, the hardness varies greatly. The front on the other hand has be baffled. It normally works great...but I was flying down a fire lane last weekend and it was drifting ...... too much going to the rear? Don't know. I am running about 11 psi front and rear. This is the only time it has ever done that... kinda scary going that fast though..... :eek:

NOTE: These are directional tires and cannot be flipped. So the wear factor is HUGE on this tire if I will replace it with the same.

Last edited:

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Renthal
You started by saying you are impressed with the wear factor on the 6000.
You ended by saying the wear factor will be huge.
????????
Sorry, you missed me.

I am interested cause Im looking at getting one.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
GreenPeace-
I meant that since these are directional tire, the wear factor would have to be about double of a tire that can be flipped. My brothers S-12 hooks up great too but can be flipped. The 6001's are wearing much better than his though.....

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Well, I thought I'd follow up a bit on this tire. I have gotten amazing mileage out of it so far. I just turned 300 miles on it and will flip it prior to the next ride. Yep...that's right...I'm just now having to flip it! Earlier, I speculated that it would be done at 200 miles, but it just keeps hooking up on all types of terrain. I won't get another 300 out of it, but I should get a little over a hundred on the flip. This tire should easily go 400 miles. Dirt Bike just had a tire shootout in the last issue and they seemed to love the IT for the money...I agree.

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
I did a couple of rides with the 6001. Very nice tyre.
Its amazing how easy the bike handles in tight turns. Better than any other tyre i had before...
Only disadvantage is the low profile. I already knocked my rim.
Does anyone have the same problem or was it just a bad day?

Top Bottom