Maybe you guys can help.

Frye

Mar 23, 2007
Short Version: Is there anything I can use to keep my chain/spool from engaging when the shaft spins(not idle) without a transmission?

Long Version: I am not a dirtbiker, but I know that most of you would have a lot of knowledge on this subject. I am a wakeskater(like wakeboarding, not connected) and am building something I want to use to pull me. Basically it has a frame, engine, clutch, chain that goes to the spool, and a couple hundred feet of rope around the spool. Previous winches have worked with a regular go-kart clutch, so when the engine idles the chain doesn't spin the spool. But when first getting up, the engine is at low RPM's, and it takes awhile for the engine to get up to speed and shortens your ride time. I am looking for a way to engage/disengage the spool when I want to, so the engine can be at higher RPM's before I engage it to create a smoother start. Thanks in advance for any replies.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
There are different designs for centrigual clutches. Some will allow you to adjust them so that they don't start to grab until higher RPMs. When my youngest was on a KTM 50 I spent a fair bit of time learning how to "stack" the conical washers that it used for clutch springs.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Look into the clutches they use on Jr. Dragsters. They have a stall in them to make them launch at a preset RPM. That might accomplish a faster start, but then again it could just jerk the rope out of your hands.

Frye

Mar 23, 2007
I have been looking into track tunable clutches, I think this is somewhat about what you guys are talking about, and that's probably what I will end up using but wanted to see if there was any alternatives. Do you guys know anything about hydrualic clutches?

Also, most TT clutches I have seen, aren't rated that high on the HP. I am using a 13 hp diesel engine, but maybe the Jr. Drag thing will work. Thanks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…