Mega Smoke Screen

KDXN200A1

Feb 20, 2003
Well I finally took the KDX200 out for a ride. I spent some time on the trails then decided to hit the highway to blow out some carbon. My Pal was with me and he said I was pulling on him and he was at 60mph. I fiqured it was going maybe 50mph cause it ran out of breath pretty quick in 5th gear (those knobs really vibrate the bike). Does anyone know how fast they are? Anyway, he tells me to look back and it looks like someone put a smoke bomb in my tail pipe. I fiqured the goop caught fire in the exhaust from just putting around while working the kinks out on prior rides. What should I do, I though maybe I should pull the packing out if these pipes have any?

I also got a plug eater on my hands, I am sure that is well covered in the archives. One plug, one ride!

Thanks,
KDXN

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Sounds to be WAY to RICH. Do you still have the airbox lid on?? Try rejetting leaner. www.justkdx.dirtrider.net has some great info on rejetting and carb tuning.

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
Yeah, get yourself a bunch of leaner jets and try out different combinations. You'll be amazed at the new-found power, less smoke, and spark plugs saved.

KDXN200A1

Feb 20, 2003
Where can I get the new jet needles? I have the older C1 carb and needles are one thing I have yet to tinker with. Your right, I went from a 32:1 to a 40:1 which seemed much, much better but that plug is still fowling out pretty bad. I think the mid-range is way to rich.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
...and don't forget to pay attention to that air filter!

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
KDXN200A1,

First of all, if you went from 32:1 to 40:1 you made the mixture RICHER.

I think that the reason you noticed an improvement is because you put in a new plug? Also, that plug fouled because you had made it RICHER.

I agree with the other posters that suggested removing or drilling the airbox lid, cleaning the filter, and then jetting it right. In that order.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
CDave's site has no 'www' to it.

It's:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

re: know how fast.....
70+mph

re: ran out of breath in 5th

That's just after the time you should have shifted to 6th. Although, with your carb reference...maybe you don't have a 6th?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
That link seems to be dead

These might be an option to taking the cover off, it is so dusty here right now I'm gonna put the lid back on!

My brother used to have an old Suzuki 90 or 100 (late 60's early 70's) It did not have an airbox! The filter stuck out of the right side case, the carb was in the case I guess. Weird set-up, was not very good in the wet stuff!
It had a jake brake too!

Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Oops I forgot something.... :confused:

Attachments

• uni airvent.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 87
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…