fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I hesitated to call this idea a trail fest, but it may the only chance I get to plan a ride this Spring (or summer).  I do realize it is a holiday weekend and we may lose some participants due to family obligations.

I have talked to some of you and there seems to be enough support to plan a camping and bike riding weekend on Memorial Day weekend.  LMC will have our next meeting on Saturday (5/24) in the morning.  I was planning to do some trail maitenance work on the Higgins Lake loop after the meeting.  There should be enough club members available to help me that anyone who wanted to ride the loop would have a gas truck and driver (me).

On Sunday we could trailer the bikes to the Kalkaska loop on M 72.  Mark has a cabin in that area and we may stop in there either before or after the ride.  CaptainKev has a cabin on the north side of this trail.  We could call it the cabin to cabin trail ride.

Everyone is welcome to camp at the clubgrounds in Moorestown.  The riding on the grounds should be limited during the club meeting.  The club is trying to become more active in the local community and promote Jack Pine (and trail riding in the area).  Anybody who is not a member and would like to spend the weekend in Moorestown will be asked to make a $5 contribution to a local charity in the Kalkaska/Grayling area.  The club will determine which charity to supprt and will be matching the contributions.  I do not want to discourage anyone from using the clubgrounds, but LMC needs to become more active in order for a tradition to continue.

I hope everyone can make it.

Mike  

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Sounds like a ton of fun! We'll be there for part, if not all of the weekend.

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
Mark, where is your cabin in relation to the M-72 trailhead???

I may be staying close to Starvation Lake that weekend..

rickshaw

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
It's not that close. It's about 7-8 miles from the trailhead toward Grayling, just past where the Manistee goes under M-72. I'll get with Mike and decide what we're going to do, maybe a brewsky after or something.

Are you staying near the Starvation Lake parking area?

For people wanting to camp near Grayling, there a State Forest campground that's near the Manistee River, and has a thread of trail from the main Kalkaska loop coming down to it. It's on Goose Creek Road, a few miles east of the M-72 trailhead. You can ride your bike right from the campground onto the loop. The campground looks really nice, although I've never stayed there.

Last edited:

Loctite

Jun 1, 2001
Mike - Sounds great, but we are camping with several friends up by Frankfort for the weekend. I may try to hook up with you guys on Sunday. I would like to bring the camper out again this year for a few weeks and help with Jack Pine. Can I reserve the same spot?

Thanks,
Craig

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Mike
If all goes well I will be up that weekend but I don't know how early Sat morning. I am supposed to pick up the new RV either Thur or Fri and then we need to prep it, pack it-load up and get to Moorsetown. I guess I must of fell off the mail list again because I didn't get any notes lately on the meetings. i know there is a meeting on the holiday weekends but didn't know the time.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
MIke, your PM box is full!

No problemo on the cabin, do you want to start or end there (suggestion, end).

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I made some room in the mailbox...had to delete some messages from Badgerman.

Mark, it would probably be easier to meet everyone at the staging area in the morning.  Those who are interested can stop by weissencabin on the way home or back to the clubgrounds.

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Looks like little Dixkin will make it, but I will be in Lincoln (by Alpena) Most of Saturday putting in a pond liner.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
How does 10:00 sound?  I know some people will not be camping that weekend and will be coming to Kalkaska to ride on Sunday only.

TD - we are trail riding on Sunday (not Saturday).

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
As good as this sounds with the cabin loop stop and all, unfortunately I can't make it. Tons of stuff going on in May, especially Memorial Day weekend.

Ride safe, have fun, and post some pictures!

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Sounds like a hoot, can I get a refresher in directions from I-75 again. With all the all, I need some assistance with the location again. Got rid of the CR and got an RM #14,(Kevin Windham especial) well for now anyways...can I assist with any anything? See me soon, I hope to see all ya all...as always I am slow but have the mo go.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Asrith, need to know if your plan is to come to the clubgrounds or the parking area for the trail ride on Sunday.  The directions will be significantly different, but not difficult.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Need some advice for the ride on Sunday.  The ORV map shows 90 miles of trail.  The last time I rode this trail I was disappointed with the trail south of M-72 due to the whoops.

Mark or Kev, I know you guys are familiar with this trail - any thoughts?

Anybody else?

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
There'll be whoops on either side of the road, Mike. There's tough sections on the south side, but overall tighter riding. Part of the north side was "de-whooped" last fall, and there's tight sections there too. The latter part of the trail opens up and can get pretty fast in spots, but also has some challenging up/down hill sections on the east side.

I guess I'd say north may be best, at least to start. We may have to look at spottign gas up in the Deward area.

captainkev

Feb 24, 2003
I have been on the NE section the last couple of weekends. It does have some short whoops sections, but nothing that lasts too far.
Going north from Cameron Bridge road, just west of Deward Road are some great single track twisties, with some moderate ups and downs along some Michigan ridge lines (see as Hill Lines.)
Single track breaks right off ORV trail about 50 feet North of Cameron Bridge road.
Some of the down hill sections are tight and rutted from the recent rain, but very manageable, just pick your way around the newley exposed rocks and roots.
Heading up past marker 8, there are a couple of pretty good quad width sand hill climbs, (see as don't slow down at all going into the right hand turn at top of the hill , KLX rear tire burried to the frame).
Overall the North East sections are in good shape, great scenery, moderate sand, with some great elevation changes.
I don't know if I will be able to hook up, as I am not sure when we are going up for the weekend, and then I have to get the dock in.

Kevin

captainkev

Feb 24, 2003
Also,

there is gas and food at Starvation Lake, which the trail goes fairly close to.
The Hideaway for chow, and Dickies about 100 yds. away for gas.

Kevin

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Kev, it's been a couple years since I've been up there, so the gas station is back open. Do they carry two stroke oil? :)

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
PS, I hope you can make the ride Kev! The water has to be too cold for a dock this weekend anyway!

captainkev

Feb 24, 2003
I think Dickies does sell 2 Smoke oil, as it is a big sled fuel stop during the winter months as well. All he has is 91 octane though, so if for some reason you run 89, your out of luck.
As for the water temp Mark, I was at the cabin last Thurs. thru Sun. and was in the water every day, tearing out a couple of beaver dams that are cutting off our lakes water supply. I had on my light fishing waders, and it was pretty
comfortable.
I am not sure yet whether we are going up Fri. night or Sat night, depends on if I have to overnight for work Friday night or not. If I get up there Friday Night, I will probably hook up to ride at least part of the day on Sunday.
And I if I don't, just remember to keep it pinned before the right hander at the top of the sand hill near Marker 8, that sand is deep !!!!!!!!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Kev,

Do you want us to pick you up when we get on the north side of the loop?

If so, give us some directions or an idea of what marker to meet you.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Darn, ya got me Kev! I was hoping you hadn't checked the water....hope to see ya Sunday! I need some help in the backfield against all these AA Enduro types that'll be showing up. ;) I'm still a C wannabe!

Top Bottom