yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
no specific post on this brand in itself, but it is mentioned in many posts. Ron recomends it, as well as do many others. I've just started using it about a month ago. When I do my next re-ring I'll let you know how it was on the powervalve.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
aj and myself have been using it since it came out.its great stuff.we get hp2 at cost but we still use the mobil 1.i dont like the hp2 cause it dosent have a rust inhibitor in it.i had a cr500 bottom end w/rust in it using hp2.no problems with mobil,truck,car,snow blower,the harley all mobil 1.sad that the mobil 1 street bike oil is 8 bucks a qt,hopefully the cost will drop.but that air cooled engine needs the protection.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I started using it too this summer. I was a big user and pusher of Yamalube 2R, but after reading all the post about the Mobil 1, I switched and I think my KTM runs alot cripser since I started using it. I am a true believer of it and its cheaper than Yamalube. I am running 40:1.

My only fault, is that its clear, so you can't tell when its mixed with gas.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
yeah that is a problem,no color,and 500 hondas dont have power ports,but the power ports on my kx500 never had problems,but kx500s could probably run on gear oil with no problems

yota

Oct 9, 2001
KX-727, you were right, I did find a bunch of info under MX2T. I did see a lot of bad press for Maxima 927 Castor, which I have been using exclusively for the last 2 years or more. It burns clean with no spooge and when doing top ends I find very little carbon on the piston and my powervalve is well lubed and clean. I started using the 927 after using Motul 800 for about a year and having gobs of spooge dripping all over my brake caliper (KTM 200 MXC).
Just changing to 927 (no ratio or jetting changes) made the spooge go almost entirely away. I am going to switch to MX2T when the last of the 927 is gone for my new 125 SX. I run Mobil 1 red cap in the tranny of my 250F and it works great.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I used to use Yamalube 2R, but I wanted to try a full synthetic. I switched to Maxima K2 and have been unhappy. It seems not to burn as clean, especially in the wife and kid's bikes. I've considered switching to MX2T, but Autozone has quit carrying it around here. I'm going to go back to the 2R, it is very clean on the internals and burns clean too.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by thorman75
aj and myself have been using it since it came out.its great stuff.we get hp2 at cost but we still use the mobil 1.i dont like the hp2 cause it dosent have a rust inhibitor in it.

i thought that i remembered reading on here that mx2t and hp2 were the same. is this incorrect?

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I've been using Mobil 1 premix in my KTM for a couple of months now with positive results. It actually seems to run better than it did on the more expensive Silkolene that I was using with less spooge and crisper throttle response. I'm a fan of it and will continue to use it. The only drawback, as someone else mentioned, is that it is clear in color. When you mix it up, the gas doesn't "look" like premix and visually and mentally, that takes some getting used to. Some Auto Zones seem to carry it on a seasonal basis, so it may not be available in the winter months at all locations. If not, you can purchase it online.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I read on the net somewhere, that Valvoline did not make anything! They simply marketed products from other sources. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
read on the net somewhere, that Valvoline did not make anything! They simply marketed
Its true, but many companys do the same thing. An example would be Shell lubricants are made by a compant called Equiilon out of texas. This same company makes the Wal Mart brand oils.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
They sell it to Honda. They probally buy the base from one of the big lube oil producers and buy a additive package from Lubrizol,viola Hond Hp2 via Valvoline.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think most of the major oil companies trade and barter with thier base stocks like commodities. Meaning that the quart of oil from Castrol may have indeed been made from base stock that Mobil once owned.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I agree....the MX2T is easy to find and at a very reasonable price. Perfomance wise, it's going to be hard to beat as well.

I think being picky on what fuel to use makes better use of energy than worrying about oil.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
think being picky on what fuel to use makes better use of energy than worrying about oil.
You hit the nail on the head there Jaybird. Most people dont relise that a large percentage of the carbon deposits they see on their piston and head come from pump gas.

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
I posted once my opinion that fuel quality had as much to do with deposits as the type of pre-mix used. Rich flamed me but I still believe it's true.

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Originally posted by cp380sx
I posted once my opinion that fuel quality had as much to do with deposits as the type of pre-mix used. Rich flamed me but I still believe it's true.

I tend to agree cp 380sx
I have had three 380s since 98 and I always ran 93and 105 octane at 50/50 and premix spectro at 40:1. I never had detination or excessive deposits.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom