Jul 23, 2007
I have a 1994 yamaha yz 250,i just got done buying $550 in parts for it. My situation is I am getting $1500 to put into the bike. I was wondering if i should sell my bike and buy a newer one. i like this one but im kinda skered to put alotta money in to it. so should i sell it or mod it to fit me? :bang:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You're not going to get the money out of the bike that you put in. If you've just dropped $550 into the bike, you should have a nice running and reliable bike. If you go buy a newer bike, you may have to drop another $500 on it in repairs. Keep what you've got because you know it runs right. And, face it, if you ride your bike, it will cost you money. I expect to throw at least $30 a day for maintenance on my bike. If I put it off for a few days of riding, it's not uncommon to see bills in the hundreds of dollars.

I just think of my friend every time someone thinks of trading up to a newer bike. He bought a "clean" 02 CR250R for $2600 and it ran great. The first time he took it out, he realised it needed swingarm and linkage bearings, $140. Soon after, he lost a hub, $170. Very shortly after that, it was time for a top end rebuild, that should have cost around $150, but ended up costing $500 and a lot of stress because the plating was worn through on the cylinder. The bike is also due for a new clutch basket, $225. These are all things you might not see while purchasing a new bike. Once you've settled in on a bike and have all of its back maintenance straightened out, it's just not worth the risk to upgrade.

Jul 23, 2007
76GMC1500 said:
You're not going to get the money out of the bike that you put in. If you've just dropped $550 into the bike, you should have a nice running and reliable bike. If you go buy a newer bike, you may have to drop another $500 on it in repairs. Keep what you've got because you know it runs right. And, face it, if you ride your bike, it will cost you money. I expect to throw at least $30 a day for maintenance on my bike. If I put it off for a few days of riding, it's not uncommon to see bills in the hundreds of dollars.

I just think of my friend every time someone thinks of trading up to a newer bike. He bought a "clean" 02 CR250R for $2600 and it ran great. The first time he took it out, he realised it needed swingarm and linkage bearings, $140. Soon after, he lost a hub, $170. Very shortly after that, it was time for a top end rebuild, that should have cost around $150, but ended up costing $500 and a lot of stress because the plating was worn through on the cylinder. The bike is also due for a new clutch basket, $225. These are all things you might not see while purchasing a new bike. Once you've settled in on a bike and have all of its back maintenance straightened out, it's just not worth the risk to upgrade.
:yikes: sounds like my luck.
i just put a new hinson clutch basket and barnett dirtdigger clutch on my yz i guess ill just keep this one and buy alotta stuff for it.

Top Bottom