moose barkbusters -- need help installing

nkd

Mar 3, 2000
I was going to mount my moose barkbusters last night and came across a problem. The rubber pieces of hose they give you is
suppose to fit over the little metal piece that spreads when
you insert it in the side of the handlebar. The rubber is so small no matter what I did I could NOT get it on. Anyone else have this problem? Would I be able to get a bigger piece of hose from a auto parts store?? Thanks,
Nancy:think

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Yes, you can get another piece of rubber. I mounted some handguards a couple of weeks ago and ran into a similar situation. The tube needs to be big enough inside diameter to go over the metal piece while still being able to go inside the bar. I would suggest trying the supplied rubber again, but this time maybe heat up the rubber with a hair dryer first and grease up the metal so it will slide on easier. More than likely, it will go. If you get it started, tap it a bit with a mallet, or 'screw' it on with channel locks.

Another tip: You may need to bend the guards a bit if they don't match up with the bar mounting. That is a tedious proccess, but may be neccessary.
Once you get the rubber thing worked out, just push the guard into the handlebar and sort of "eyeball" it and see what bends need to be made so you can bolt the other end on. I think the optimum position for guards is the front of them a little lower than level. I'm not familiar with the Moose guards, so this tip may not apply to you.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Your best bet is to go back to the bike shop and buy the metal handle bar inserts. They cost more but work much better than the rubber insert.

Make sure you know what kind of bars you have on the bike because the aluminum bars have a smaller ID the steel, etc.

Hope this helps!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I always resort to using rubber fuel line in place of the rubber inserts. Seems to work well and it's cheaper than buying new ones.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I have your answer!!!!
I thought the same thing when I first got my Moose guards. I couldn't get the rubber hose over the two wedge shaped pieces. ( I have cheepo steel bars).
Then it came to me in a flash!
It turns out that the wedges are used (without the rubber) for aluminum bars wich have the smaller openings at the bar ends.
For steel bars REMOVE the two wedge shaped pieces from the bolt, insert the hose, and place the nut on the bolt. Insert this into the bar and tighten. Works like a charm!:cool:

Last edited:

nkd

Mar 3, 2000
Thanks to all and especially to PapaKeith for the answer to my problem.
The directions were very unclear.
THANKS!;)
Nancy

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Papa,
So that's the trick? I used a drill bit to core out the hose so that it fit over the wedges. It's not pretty but it worked. It seemed (at the time) that it would be good to have some hose in there to help absorb shock loads.:confused:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
no problem. I'm just happy that I finally had some information in my noggin that could actually help someone! :)

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
for about twelve bucks you can buy aluminum inserts that hold the guard much more firmly. some guards even come with them. i think you can order them from enduro engineering.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom