motion sickness on a dirt bike ... anyone else??

I've ridden for years, the last 10 or so I've been getting motion sickness when I ride. Not always, maybe one out of five or six rides. It is really no fun!! When it happens all I can do is lay on the side of the trail for a couple hours till it passes. When I'm on a ride that I can't afford to get sick at (out of my area or with a large group or an important race) I take medication (bonine) . This seems to work, but it says on the lable note to operate machinery while taking it. When I do take it , it seems to lower my level of spunk. It also leaves me totally and I mean totally wiped out at the end of the day!! But the medication does seem to work.I'm just curious, am I the only wimp out there??and has anyone found a better way to deal with this problem?

Stickman

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
WOW, I have never heard that before. Have you seen a Doc about this? It really sounds like you should get this checked out, it's not a very good idea taking meds with a heavy equipment warning on them and riding on a regular basis or at all for that matter, they slow your reaction time down which could get you hurt :( . Hopefully someone else has a better answer to help, keep us posted on your situation, I hope you can get this fixed.
One more thing, does this motion sickness only happen when you ride? What about boats, planes,cars etc., any problems with any of them?

Thanks for your concern Billy. Yes I do have the same problem with cars, planes, boats, ect. always have. I rode bikes for a couple decades with no problems, I guess I've become more sensitive with age . I keep getting better and faster the older I get, maybe there is just more motion in my ride than there was ten years ago!

Stickman:)

I've had a little motion sickness from riding before. Riding around in a sand pit with lots of ups and downs and quick turns. I blamed it on dehydration or maybe not eating a decent breakfast. I've had lots of inner ear problems and I think that makes me more susceptible. Especially if I have a cold. I'm not talking about throwing up or anything. Just not feeling real good for a while.
I wouldn't use any medication that warns you against operating machinery if you're going riding. A doctor visit sounds like a good idea.

Last edited:
Johninky, your lucky that you don't vomit, it's no fun!! I have talked to several Docs about this. They haven't dad much to offer, one suggested I take an upper to offset the downer effect of the bonine, so I took some nodose with it, that made me feel like crap. I met an eye Doc at a race awhile back, he told me of a little known thing called vision therapy he set me up with another Doc in my area and I went in for some tests.They swung a ball on a string back and forth in front of my face and had me track it with my eyes , that sort of thing. After the tests they said that I was a good candidate for treatment. they proposed three months of therapy , which would mostly be done at home with balls and strings under their supervision. It was all interesting and the people were all very nice but the cost was 1800.00, thats where I choked,I just wasn't that convinced it would work.

I really think there is an underlying cause to this,a trigger if you will,otherwise I would get sick every time wouldn't I ? So the logicle question is what is the trigger? I tend to think it could be blood sugar, sleep deprivation,allergies, hydration, stress, conditioning, something I've eaten or haven't eaten, these sort of things. I have noticed that I can often tell if I'm going to have a bad day before I ever start riding, I just feel alittle puney and off balance , not always but often.

Ideas anybody??
Stickman

Stickman,
You may want to see an ENT(Ears, Nose and Throat Doctor) some go by otorhinolaryngologist (sp?). Get rule out for having a vestibular disorder and possibly some insight and treatment for your problem. Have you ever tried Scopolamine?
Good Luck, Keith.

When we went on a cruise a couple of years ago there was some talk of a bracelet that you would wear to combat sea sickness??Anybody else hear of something like this?

Skmcbride
Ear, nose, and throat is a good idea. I have not heard of scopolamine but will track it down and ckeck it out, THANKS!

Big Tuna
I tried the bracelet thing, it was called '' sea bands", my aunt swears by them.Unfortunatly the slight tention on the wrist gave me arm pump real fast.
THANKS for the ideas, anybody have any more??

Stickman

CPT Jack

Subscriber
Health Issues

Stickman,

I've had problems driving and riding escalators but not so much riding. Most my problems were 2-3 yrs ago and I've only been riding a year in which time my problem has improved dramatically. I only saw one doctor and he couldn't figure out what the problem was except for being stress/depression related perhaps.

My issues were more than motion sickness though: dizziness - sometimes when just sitting, tunnel-vision, and a generally impaired feeling/sense of "awareness" - like the head fog of a hangover. I was really quite freaked but luckily I'm recoved to 90-95% "sharpness" of perception w/ very infrequent dizzy spells.

Do you have any other weird things going on? I'd be very interested in hearing what finding/solutions you come up with.

CPT JACK

You asked if I'd had any other weird things going on? at the risk of starting to sound like a hypochondriac, one thing comes to mind, towards the end of a really long ride ,several times I've lost my vision, everything goes double or triple! When I would stop everything would return to normal in a few minutes but then come right back after 5 min. on the bike. whether this is related to the motion sickness or not I don't know , now that I think about it I guess it could be.
So tell me cptjack what did you do to get your problems straighted out? If anything.

You guys are really starting to make me think!

Stickman

stormer94

Subscriber
I had a similar thing for a while. Turns out I was willing to blame everything else but myself. After a lot of thought and varioius medications, I just finally figured out I was to outta shape to ride that hard. I got myself into slightly better shape and the problem becomes less and less as I develop better conditioning...

Guess I'm not 16 anymore...how did that happen??? :confused:

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Big Tuna:
I think the item your refering to is call Sea Bands. It's an elastic band with a plastic button sewn in. You position it on your wrist according to the instrucitons enclosed with the Sea Bands. It works on the basis of accupressure. I get motion sick in cars and planes. It works for me.
I bought mine at the local drug store.

TWIGMAN, maybe you should quit sniffing the stain down there in your woodshop before we go riding every weekend. :think

I don't know if offroadracer knows you, and/or if you are also known as twigman or if you do sniff stain in your woodshed - but, if you are into woodworking it might be something to look into. We woodworkers tend to use some pretty health hazardous solvents, etc. I've started to become real concerned, I used to be one of those wash my hands in paint thinner or gasoline kind of idiots. I'm trying to minimize my exposure now, hopefully not too late as some of these chemicals stick around and accumulate in the body. Something to think about.

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
I get motion sick once in awhile, just to the point that I don't have much fun. It's usually when I eat the wrong type of food before I ride. I know other people that have the same problem. I also notice that the better shape I'm in, the less it happens.