Moving to Texas... any suggestions?

SirReel

Aug 23, 2001
Just found out I have to move to Irving, TX for work. Not a bad thing, but it will be different as I now live in a town of about 14,000 and we are the "big city" for an hour in any direction. Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any tips for places to live. I'll be working in Las Colinas (right behind the Tenaya restaurant on 114), and would like to live somewher close so that traffic isn't too big of a deal in the mornings... was thinking Valley Ranch, Lewisville, Grapevine, Coppell, etc. Trying to find something with a garage so I won't have to rent a place to store/work on the bike. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Welcome.....I work about 5 minutes from where you'll be. Are you talking apartment or house? There are plenty of apartments with garages in the Valley Ranch area just north of your workplace on MacArthur. A couple buddies of mine live in that area and seem to like it. I can get you names of complexes if you're going that route.

If you're looking for a house the Lewisville/Coppell areas are a little more reasonable than Valley Ranch in price but Lewisville has the lowest taxes of the three to boot. Grapevine is cool but the commute can be a biotch. Not far but heavily traveled highways. I live about 12 miles from my office and it takes me in the area of 20/25 minutes to get to/from work barring any major disasters.

Drop me a line if I can be of any help.

SirReel

Aug 23, 2001
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm going the apartment route for now. Yeah Valley Ranch has been the center of my searching so far. Seems to have lots of garages, and not too bad on the prices. If you know of specific complexes that would be great! I'll be down there next week for work and plan on deciding while I'm there.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
So it would seem you are moving closer to DirtWeek? Smart man! :laugh:

SirReel

Aug 23, 2001
Okie... that was my first thought when my boss told me :aj: speaking of which, just how far is it from Dallas to Stillwater?

Oldguy... have no fear of that... It'll be like my college days where I was walking around the University of Florida campus with Seminoles gear on. :thumb:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
What do you mean? Your still driving up to I-80 so you can travel with the NorthEast Caravan to Dirtweek, right? :)

Congrats on the move to a warmer place!

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I've been in HERE They're not bad, garages, gated, close to everything, and not too expensive but there are several others in the area that are similar.

Cooperland is in the neighborhood of 3 1/2hrs away barring any complications. If you'll be here for the Dallas SX we'll have a big group of DRN'ers getting together if you want to meet some of your friends :thumb:

SirReel

Aug 23, 2001
Sweet. Looks like I just need to drive up and down macarthur north of 635, as ever other place I've found is right in there too. Thanks again for the info.
If all goes as planned, I should be in town for the SX. It's the 17th, right? I start work from there on the 6th, so hopefully I'll be there too :ohmy: . And I'm always up for meeting more of the DRN family, so, sounds like a plan. :thumb:

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
SirReel, what kind of riding do you like to do? There's several good woods racing organizations in the North Texas Area (most races within 2.5 hrs of where you'll be), and, from what I've heard, there's a couple of places where guys like to jump. I think they call it motorcross, or something. Be sure to check out the North Texas Smack Pack forum in the Central Chapters, there are people goin riding all the time.

Oh and stay away from taraker and twinspar, those two are a little, ummm, off :)

gtoclump

Jan 29, 2004
Just move from Chi Town

I just move to Dallas from Chi Town on Sat. It'll be nice to have someone from Illinois here. Hope to find a place like Walnut.

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
I was told there is a track to ride on loop 12 in Irving just south of 183. Sorry i cant remember the exit. I have never ridden there and have no idea how good it is but its nice and close to you.

On the very east side of Fort Worth, Mosier Valley is a nice track and they have some good races there. It's well maintained etc. It may be the closest nice trace to you. Here is their webpage link. http://www.mosiervalleymx.com/

You will hate the traffic in the Metropuzzle if you are like me. I came from a small town over 15 years ago. But you learn to adapt. Or not :)

SirReel

Aug 23, 2001
Thanks for all the info

Thanks for all the info. And I think I'll luck out and miss most of the traffic, at least for my work commute. Looks like I'll be getting a place where evenslower suggested so I won't even have to touch a freeway to get back and forth to work. I'll be moving in the first week of April, so I'll see everybody at the SX.. oh yeah, who can get pit passes :joke:

Top Bottom