My 2005 200 runs backward!!!!

td04h

Aug 10, 2009
I've installed a new stator coil AGAIN!!!

Now it doesn't want to start, kicks back alot and when it does start it is in reverse.

I have advanced and retarded the timming to the max, but it has the same problem!!!

Please help!!!!

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
I had a key one time that was part way sheared. Looking at it,with the flywheel on,everything appeared ok, but in fact the flywheel had moved just enough to cause huge problems.Have you taken it apart for inspection since the problem started? If thats not your case, I'd like to hear from someone that has other idea how to help you ... Can you do wheelies in reverse?(just kidding) Dave

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Sounds like you need to start from scratch and check all connectors and component spec's, kicking back is too much advance, not familiar with the 200 but my 250 ign pickup is external and separate to power windings.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Running backwards? The crank must be in upside down. Or maybe you should remove the wheels, turn them upside down, and reinstall. Or maybe you are kicking it over forward instead of backwards.

(Just kidding :) )

I guess if you were playing with the timing and replacing the stator, you must have had that stator cup off, so you would have seen a sheared key... unless you sheared it on the last install.

Was there any debris on the rotor magnets from the previous failures? And just thinking out loud, I wonder how the bike detects the crank position? Hall effect sensor? Magnetic switch? Waveform from stator? On my Buell it's a hall effect sensor, and it doesn't seem like the stator output would be a reliable trigger. But it must be something on that stator, because that's what you turn to change the timing...

td04h

Aug 10, 2009
the key is fine. i removed the flywheel and removed the key. installed the flywheel again, but turned it 180 deg. same problem. turned the flywheel 90deg back and starts on first kick the right way round. So my timing with the key installed is 90deg to fast?

Any ideas???

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Is it an OEM stator assembly? Or aftermarket? Got the part number handy?

Oh, and how the heck did you get the flywheel on in anything but the correct position with the key in there?

td04h

Aug 10, 2009
i took the key out before installing the flywheel 180 and 90 deg. its not an oem stator. it burnt out about 5 times. got it rewound. maby the problem is there?

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Thats what I would look at next. I don't know how Kawasaki senses the position of the crank, but you change the timing by moving that stator around, so it must be off something on that assembly, probably triggering off of something on the magnet bell housing (though it could be off the crank itself somehow)...

I'm sure somebody here knows how it actually works... my service manual is at home so I can't look it up here.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
If it triggers off the stator and the ign circuit differentiates between rising or falling voltage the stator must be connected backwards.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Hey, that's a clever approach from Kawasaki. I wonder how they kept it from getting fussy with temperature and RPM (which would change the amplitude of the voltage). I wonder what the actual schematic is.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Top Bottom