td04h

Aug 10, 2009
I had problems with my stator coil for the last month now. It burnt out the first time, rewound it, burnt out again, bought a new stator for the bike and that burnt out today. Bike is a 2005 model kdx 200. The rewound one worked for half a day and the new one worked for a full day.

Does anybody know what the cause is for it to burn out.

It's the one for the spark, not for the lights.

Thanx
:coocoo: :coocoo: :bang: :bang:

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
These stators are touchy things. I had 5 that all burnt out. Then I went with Ricky Stator and have no problems since.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I would check everything in the circuit ( coil, wiring harness, CDI, pickup coil) or maybe switch them out with known working units. I have never run up on a problem like this but burning out stator’s over and over would get old in a hurry. It just sounds like something is causing the stator to go.

td04h

Aug 10, 2009
I live in south africa, so i don't have a ricky stator. I have checked the values of the cdi and ign coil acording to the manual. The ign coil is in spec, but the cdi unit values are way of. On some wires i don't even get a reading. The experts around here tell me that the cdi unit canot be the cause. If the cdi is faulty. the bike will not start, they say.

What do u guys think? Can the cdi cause the stator coil to burn out?

I have checked all the wires aswell, nothing making a short!!

Don't know wat to do anymore!!!!

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Oh, and what about mechanical damage? Could a magnet be out of spec, the cup out of round, or even the crank bent and causing mechanical damage to the stator?

td04h

Aug 10, 2009
Crack Seals are fine. That is what i can't understand. The bike works for a day then dies. I cant figure it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

liven07

Mar 29, 2009
I do not know for sure what the problem is but think of it like this, if a appliance shorts out in your house the breaker(power source) is going to flip. With the power source being your stator, if a cdi or coil is screwing up it could be shorting out your stator coil. I would test all your electrical.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
You said the CDI unit has some way off readings so that is where I would start looking for the problem. My bet would be some sort of short in the CDI unit. Do the '05's require a special tester like the earlier models? If so, did you use it or a multimeter?

I know they said the CDI can't cause the problem but this is electrical stuff we're talking here...anything can happen. Parts can still work but cause other problems.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/htcd...-honda-kawasaki-suzuki-ktm-yamaha-1865-0.html
Above link is for a CDI unit that I have ran on my 96 kdx. It is great since it is a cdi and coil in one unit, plus the cost is such that if you suspect something electrical you can put this on and see that it is not the cdi or the coil. For me, it confirmed the fact that many rewound stator coils are just junk. The electrex brand coils are junk! I went to a very good rewinder and they did their best but it still failed in one minute. The rewinder guy said that the wire was so thin that it is very prone to a failure.
Ricky Stator would surely ship overseas. I also heard that Moose did some stators too and people had problems.
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=91109&highlight=cdi+kdx
Check your cdi using an Ohm meter and use the above thread I worked on.

Top Bottom