Jay D

May 22, 2001
Rec'd my braces last week. I called for help to insure that I was fitting them properly and was given excellent service. I couldn't be happier.
I used them over the weekend on a long two day ride that covered all kinds of terain. I found them to be as comfortable as my old CTI's and was satisfied with the performance. One thing I found very noticeable was that for the first time in years my knees were not sore. After riding I am usually blessed with very sore knees and have even discussed a future replacement on my left. After riding with the Cells I don"t think this will be necessary.
I highly reccomend this product to every rider who has the good sense to protect their knees from injury. I firmly believe that these are as necessary as a good helmet and chest protector.

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
What boots are Asterisk brace owners using? I'm finding it difficult to close the top buckle on my new O'Hardwares when I have the brace on.

Jay D

May 22, 2001
I'm wearing A-Stars Tech 5's I believe. I can close the top buckle but the velcro at the top just barely closes. Works well for me though.

WR250Z

Sep 21, 1999
That's the way my Oneals fit but I don't like it. The boots are brand new and don't even have a ride on 'em. I may have to fashion some type of strap on top of the boot.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I can't see from the pictures of Asterisk's web site whether the brace still offers complete protection from rocks etc. when the knee is bent. That is, is there a "hole" between the frame and the cup when you bend your leg?

Also, I've not gotten any knee braces until now (I have EVS knee/shin guards), since many of the serious opinions seem to be that the braces don't really prevent injuries when the knee is bent. However, the Cells are so cool that I may have to get a pair.

I have never seen anything saying that these type of braces can actually increase the changes of injury (due to providing leverage to put stress on the knee or whatever). Anybody have any knowledge of studies that would show that I shouldn't get a pair thinking "they can't hurt"?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Alpinestar M4's aren't your high dollar boot, but they serve me very well and I can close the top buckle fine with my Cells. The soles are great compared to the bad ones you hear about on AS high end boots like Tech 8's.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I can't see from the pictures of Asterisk's web site whether the brace still offers complete protection from rocks etc. when the knee is bent. That is, is there a "hole" between the frame and the cup when you bend your leg?
This is one of the great things about the brace, the knee is very well protected with telescoping petella/knee protection. Works very well. The area above and below the knee is covered. The impact protection is much better than the knee pads (fox pivot) I used to wear. More comfortable too.

Check this link: http://dirtrider.net/drn_tested/kneebraces/a_cell.html

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Thanks Okiewan. Now I understand what the "telescoping" patella cup meant. I just thought it moved up and down to stay over the patella, and didn't notice those two extension pieces. This looks pretty good.

Jay D

May 22, 2001
I think that a lot of the problem with fit may be the size of the calf. I wear XLbraces and if my calf was a 1/2" smaller my boots would be perfect. They are still useable though.

Top Bottom