RECENT POSTS

my computer

does antone have a link to somewhere to find cd-rom/r-rw drivers? both my drives quit working(i.e. won't recognize a disk being in the drive), but my device manager says they are both working properly.

any help would be great. thanks

oldguy

Always Broken
being able to crash a computer faster then anyone take my advice with a grain of salt
I just did a complete wipeout of our system and couldn't get the scanner to work so I went to
My computer then to
Control panel into
Systems and then to the tab Device manager
Then I found the link in the tree to my problem. from there windows did the rest to take me online and found the driver I needed

CD drivers tend to be fairly generic, you can probably just remove the CD driver and reboot and let it re-add the device.

got the new drivers, to no avail. when you but a disc in, the drive just clicks, and then it say please insert disc into drive. i can't hear any spinning or movement when i put a disc in.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
It seems unlikely that both drives would die at the same time. Are both drives on the same IDE cable? If so try a new IDE cable if you still get nothing from either drive then perhaps your IDE controller died for some reason. If you fear that's the case you could confirm it by hooking one of the drives up on the same IDE cable your HD is on but don't forget to set the jumper on the back of the drive to the slave setting.

thanks for the reply, chili. i have a couple questions for you. what is the IDE cable?
what is a IDE controller?

both drives must have some power to them because i can open them to put a disk in, so i'm thinking it wouldn't be a hardware issue, would it?

also, both drives did not die at the same time. my cd-rom died 1st, right about the time i upgraded to xp pro. then about 4 mo. later my cd-r quit working.

Chili

The IDE cable is the ribbon cable running from the back of the drive to the IDE controller (plug on the motherboard). Do the drives work at all and are just not listed as drives in my computer or your control panel? I had an issue with XP pro at one time where my drives disappeared from the control panel but if you inserted a disc that had an auto run on it the cd-rom would still fire up. I don't recall off hand what I did to fix it other than hit the windows update site and make sure you are current on all your patches and service packs.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
I had a similar problem with my cd burner but it was because it was hooked up as slave on the IDE Cable and the jumper settings were set to primary. There is a seperate wire to power the unit so if the light is on and the drive opens, but theres no sign of any data exchange between the drive and the computer then it is most likely software configuration or the IDE cable/controller as Chili said.

Chili

There are no settings on an IDE controller. If by settings your referring to the jumper settings, these are on the back of the drives. If your drives worked before and have stopped it's very unlikely a jumper setting issue.

so it should just be a problem with a ide ribbon cable. if i replace those, i should be good to go.

Chili

Originally posted by rybo3
so it should just be a problem with a ide ribbon cable. if i replace those, i should be good to go.
I would never make that assurance. It could be one of a million different things causing your problem. I'm just trying to give you some suggestion on where to start to look.