my KDX boggs down and dies when i rev it

swords30

Nov 28, 2002
when im riding my kdx200 ( 2003 ) model after traveling for about .2 miles it just boggs out and dies like it is getting no gas but if i putt around it runs fine this is happening when i get on it, when I start adding some gas to it. but if I switch it over to reserve on the tank it runs just fine ? until the reserve runs out of gas. then it takes forever to start. does anyone have any hints on what the problem could be i was out on the ranch and had to walk this darn bike all the way back to the truck . i have changed the plugs but it has to be in the carb somewhere.

thanks for your help

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Perhaps you could clarify the problem a bit - it sounds like there are 2 issues here? The dying out problem when you get on it, sounds very much like it could be a rich jetting symptom. But the other problem of not running until you switch to reserve could be a clogged inlet on the fuel tap. Some more details?

swords30

Nov 28, 2002
ok let me see if i can explain in detail,
i start the bike and take off when i start to enter 3rd or 4th gear at a rev it just dies make a hog sound like it is suxing for gas but getting nothing but air if i wait for about 30 minutes it will start back up but i must turn it to reserve and pull the chock.at this point it will run fine in the reserve mode but not in the normal mode. it is also very hard to start , this bike only has 53 miles on it , it is brand new. it was starting fine and idling fine until today.
the gas in the tank is from the dealer i havent even ran this tank dry yet im thinking my best bet would to take it back to the dealer but if i do that how will i learn because the dealer is not in the woods with me. to me it sounds like it si getting no gas but when i pulled the hose it was coming out fine. I have not made any adjustments on this bike as of yet. except set the idle. i set the idle on my kdx220r and it has no problems followed the book for both all the way. i hope this is a better explaination

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
vent tube clogged on the gas cap? Pull it off and see if it runs better. Other suggestions is something is clogging the carb or floats. Take the carb off and check that next.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
This would be my plan of attack, after trying Fred's suggestion:

1. Drain the fuel that you have and get rid of it. While you're draining, ensure that fuel flows freely with the valve in both the 'On' and 'Reserve' positions.
2. Mix a fresh batch of premix & try to ride again.
3. Remove carb and ensure no blockage in air boots, and a clean air filter.
4. Remove float bowl and inspect for dirt in bowl.
5. Remove pilot and main jets, inspect for clogging.
6. Check float level - casting seam in side of float should be roughly parallel to the float bowl mating surface, when the float valve begins to open.
7. Reinstall and try to ride again.

srhill

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2002
Check your petcock.
If it is running "just fine" on reserve then it is highly unlilely that your problem is carb related.

Some petcocks can be very touchy about where there set. After you drain the gas from the tank remove the petcock and examine it, maybe there is a piece of trash in the inlet or some manufacturing defect. I bet it wouldn't be hard for a defected part to make it past the QC guy or gal wherever they are made. Could you imagine having that job. Can you say Boringggg.....

Keep us updated.

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
Put a new plug in it and try that. If no change take it to the dealer as it is still under warranty.Make them make it right.
Good luck
Steve

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
isnt there a fuel filter inside the peacocks on a kdx? maybe that thing is clogged,, like like someone else said,, the fuel air hose on the gas cap could be clogged.. but clean everything including taking apart the the choke on the carb and start with fresh gas, and have a few extra jets on hand, and correct spark plug..

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Maybe the fuel level in the gas tank is too low. That would explain why it will only run on reserve. Also could be a clogged fuel cap breather or carb breather.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom