Dave the Ace

May 19, 2002
Hi all, new guy here!! I have a 2001 KX 250, that I ride the majority of the time in hare scrambles, and enduro's. I need some help with my suspension setup. I am 6'1, and weigh 185 lbs. I have taken care of the drivetrain portion of the bike. I have installed a FMF SST pipe, dual mode ignition, Boyeson 2 stage reeds, and a 7 oz flywheel weight. I am running 13/50 gearing. I am running Dunlop 752 rubber.My suspension settings, are pretty much stock, I have set sag at 100mm. I have moved the forks up 1/2 inch in the clamps. I ride primarily woods type riding, and I am finding the bike is just plain too stiff. I am not a pro suspension guy, and don't know where to start to get more compliance. The bike works well on smoother surfaces, but is very" nervous" in rough woods trails, particularly in the front. I have a hard time making the bike track straight without constant correction. any help would be greatly appreciated, or any reccomendation for a suspnsion shop. thanks!!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You will need to reduce compression(bottom adjuster anticlockwise on forks, top adjuster on shock anticlcokwise, also try turning the outer(high speed adjuster) out .The KX will not be good in this terrain without work on it as its set up for mx.

Dave the Ace

May 19, 2002
Thanks Marcus, i am aware of the bikes shortcomings. I would definetley(sp) consider some extensive mod's, if they are worth it. I REALLY like the way this bike works. I think the motor is very well suited to hare scrambles, and enduro's, especially the way I have modified it so far. I REALLY need help with getting the suspension Woods ready. I do not MX this bike, and spend very little time on a MX track. I DO ice race the bike in the winter, but I can jump that hurdle when I get to it. I do agree that I need more work, than just turning some screws, but I really don't know where to start. Help me out Guys!! Thanks in advance

Dave

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The valving is designed for mx so that needs modding.The springs maybe about right for your weight-try www.mx-tech.com and go to the spring rate selector.A good idea is to ask local riders who they have work done by and if it was any good.No other easy answers im afraid.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Dave,
Valving is the only way to get your suspension right for the woods. I have the same bike with nearly identical mods and you are ready, except for the valving. To get a well balanced bike you need to go with the pros IMO. I've made great gains with my valving, but it's not as good as it could be. I'll gladly share what I've done, just shoot me a PM.

Scott

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
Dave,
I raced KX 250's Offroad for three years in 30 EX. Tight woods here in western Oregon. Darryl @ ACME Suspension in Hesperia,CA. did an outstanding job for me. He used to do Ty Davis's suspension when Ty was with Kawasaki so he is real familiar with the chassis. By the way, put your forks back down in the clamps to the stock position and much of your wandering and nervousness in the front will go away!

Last edited:

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Dave,
The biggest issue with the KX fork is the overally stiff midvalve. When your getting your list of questions together to ask any potential suspension companies, make sure you ask about that. The valve is not so much stiff overall as is just to low in the speed range.

If they say leave it stock or remove it walk away.

Regards,
Jer

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Just to add to jers comments(and to back it up as if he needed it)i have tried modding a 02Cr125 fork which has a very similar midvalve to a KX and you can go as soft as possible on the base valve and it will still be too stiff overall-as well as this you then loose efficiency in the comp clicker as you have almost no seat pressure on the base valve shims.

Dave the Ace

May 19, 2002
Thanks for all the help guys, I am in the process of getting quotes for the suspension work done, I think that will be the best route. Hoov, I think I mislead you with my description. If I am on a smoother trail, or on the MX track, the bike works well. I do not have a headshake problem either. BUT if I ride a rough single track trail(2nd and third gear stuff) or am in a lot of rocks and roots, THAT is when the bike just cannot be pointed wothout constant correction. I have made some adjustments, but still need more. I have a KDX 220, that is quite modded, that is an absolute joy in the tight stuff. However it is a real snoozer on power.(Maybe I should put the KX motor in the KDX chassis??LOL). Thanks again guys, and I will keep you updated on my endeavor.

Dave

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Dave,
Good make the calls too.. But regardless of the type of condtions makesure they address that issue...
It matters wether you ride GNCC, tightwoods, or full on supercross.

Regards,
Jer

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom