Need some help. Over torqued plug.

RomKX5

Feb 4, 2002
I changed my tranny oil today and when I went to reinstall the drain plug, it kept turning. I have no idea what happened. I'm a pretty good mechanic and i know i didn't cross thread the bolt (I started the threads with my fingers before I put a socket on the plug). Anyway, I know it's not the drain plugs that's jacked up cuz it the threads look clean, so it has to be th case. My question is, what is the best way to fix this? Do I need to tap it? Any sugestions. Thanks.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Helicoil kits run about $20-30.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
If you're not confident about doing the fix yourself, go to a machinist and they will probably charge $25 also. If they do it, it will be right.

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
I had the SAME problem.. Here's what I did... Went to the hardware store and bought a self tapping 14mm Bolt (one size bigger than I had stripped out), and a shorter bolt to fit the new thread pattern of the self tapping bolt. You can leave the self tapping one in, but I didn't have enough room in my case, the bolt would touch gears. So I screwed in the self tapping bolt as far as it would go, backed it out and put in the shorter bolt. Fixed for less than $5.

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
Ran into the same problem. Luckily my dad is the executive engineer at a local machine shop so i had some of his workers do it for free. They do alot of crap on my bike for me...true lifesavers. Prevention advice: hand tighten as much as possibly then give it a quarter turn with a wrench. :p

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
endo,
You got burnt. Try AutoZone.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
YA, $60 is way overboard. I think Jaybird is pretty close with his price.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…