Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I know the popular opinion is that IE is a pile of junk. It is, however, the only program that seems to allow me to download attachments from e-mails and ftp sites exactly the way I want to. For some reason every time I open IE it tells me it cannot find my server. The only way I can get online is to use Netscape Aggrivator (which won't allow me to download attachments properly).

In IE I go into Internet Options and click on connections. Under Dial-Up and VPN settings it says Broadband Connection (default). Under that it is checked to "Always dial my default connection." When I click on the LAN settings it is checked to "Automatically Detect Settings."

When I try to navigate to a web page it says, "The web page you requested is not available offline. To View this page, click Connect."

It never used to ask me to connect. I'm connected to a Cable modem and it was always just connected when I went on-line. It has been this way for over a month and I can't figure out what the problem is. I obviously don't understand much about this feature, so if anyone has a quick bone-head tip for me that might help, I'd certainly appreciate it. I just can't figure out why it will let me look around offline but won't give me total access to everything without asking me to connect (which doesn't work either). Thanks in advance for any tips!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Which version of IE are you using? Did you play with anything before it started doing the problem?

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
It's version 6.0. I hadn't done anything to it before it stopped working. Interestingly enough, the same thing happened to my laptop's IE about a week later. Too weird. I'm wondering if an un-install and then re-install of the newer version might solve the problem.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I run version 7 which has greatly improved from version 6. Hmmm...Verify if the Work Offline is checked. Sometimes we tend to overlook the obvious stuff.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
LOL.. good luck trying to uninstall IE, Bill was sued over that. "It's an intergral part of the Operating System". Riiiiight.

Is there anything in the lan settings about a proxy server?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
My IE appears in the software list. Yours may appear only in the windows component list. It's pretty easy to uninstall. Try installing version 7, it will erase the 6.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
mine is checked to never dial a connection, thats for dial up i believe

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Too funny!

Under the LAN section it says, "Use a proxy server for your LAN." But it's not checked.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
So everything works for you now?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Kawidude said:
Too funny!

Under the LAN section it says, "Use a proxy server for your LAN." But it's not checked.

Do you have a proxy server?

And uncheck "Always dial my default connection" like ellandoh said, thats only for dialup connections.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Nope. I set it to "never dial a connection." I can navigate to other sites but the same message keeps popping up saying that the page isn't available offline and I need to connect.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i usually keep screwing around for a few hours til im distraught then system restore is usually my savior :)

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Kawidude said:
Nope. I set it to "never dial a connection." I can navigate to other sites but the same message keeps popping up saying that the page isn't available offline and I need to connect.

Is your Work Offline checked?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
ellandoh said:
i usually keep screwing around for a few hours til im distraught then system restore is usually my savior :)

AAAACKKK!!!!

I would never ever do that. I have way too much sh!t installed... I can barely keep track of it as it is.. Then to have to reinstall it all.. No way pal. :whoa:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
IndyYZ85 said:
AAAACKKK!!!!

I would never ever do that. I have way too much sh!t installed... I can barely keep track of it as it is.. Then to have to reinstall it all.. No way pal. :whoa:
it doesnt get rid of everything , not even files, just installed programs after the date you pick to go back to

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
ellandoh said:
it doesnt get rid of everything , not even files, just installed programs after the date you pick to go back to

Well, I don't have restore points anyway.. Don't trust em. I'm sorta old school.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
trial_07 said:
Is your Work Offline checked?

Where would I find that? I poked around and couldn't find it.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I think it's File --> Work Offline for your version, but I'm not completely sure. It is Tools --> Work Offline for version 7, you might want to look there also. Hope this helps!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Kawidude said:
Where would I find that? I poked around and couldn't find it.
click on file and look at the bottom of that list

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
It feels like we're getting close. I looked and "Work Offline" was checked. So I unchecked it and now it's telling me it can't find my server again. I'm stumped.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Just install firefox and don't worry about it.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
kmccune said:
Just install firefox and don't worry about it.

I tried that too. Firefox ran great for about a month. Then it told me I needed to download an update. It updated and hasn't been able to connect to my server since then. I have no clue what's going on. I liked Firefox except it didn't allow me to download attachments from e-mails and ftp sites the way I wanted to. I may have been able to figure out a way to change that, but I never got the chance to try it.

Top Bottom