RECENT POSTS

New '07 YZ250 Owner!

Picked her up yesterday from Spaceport cycles, broke her in today on moist sand & sand/clay mix. WOW, it's FAST! :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw: Faster than I remember my 2000 being, particularly the hit at low RPM. The back kicks a sideways at every shift when you're gassing it, even in the moist sand. It definately needs a FWW just to get good traction.

I got about an hour actual ride time with all the cooldown cycles & the heat. Suspension is still stiff but works pretty good in the whoops. It does seem a little rich around 1/3 throttle if you fall off the pipe, I'll fix that shortly.

Very happy so far! :cool: :cool:

Thank you for doing your part in the effort to keep smokers alive.

I'm doing my part- just bought an '05 KX125 to counteract the Big Blue Beast in my sig.

My 05 YZ250 still has allot of life left in her... I love my bike, but with some regret, I am jumping ship after this bike and going with the WR next. I will always keep my YZ tho.

Is the powerband smooth ? I've heard the YZ motor is almost elecric in power delivery. I'm looking at one for a woods bike.

I'm doing my part- just bought an '05 KX125 to counteract the Big Blue Beast in my sig.[/QUOTE]

Could you offer an assesment of how the KX125 performs? Most articles declared the bike as being suited for beginners since it easy to keep on the pipe

duke said:
Could you offer an assesment of how the KX125 performs? Most articles declared the bike as being suited for beginners since it easy to keep on the pipe
Sure- first, I'm 45 years old and have been riding since I was 13, with a nearly 15 yr break for college, etc. I've been riding steadily for the past 11 years, though. Over the past 3 years, I've had an '01 KX125, '04 KTM 200sx, and KDX200 (all at the same time, too!). Sold them all last year and bought a YZ450F. So that's where I'm at. I got the '05 KX 'cause it's fun, the price was right, and I miss having a good 2-stroke for MX play-racing. This bike has an FMF Fatty and V-Force reeds, but is otherwise stock.

The '05 has MUCH more bottom end than the '01 (which had Pro Circuit pipe/silencer and V-Force reeds). It pulls almost as good off the bottom as a KTM 125sx I rode a few weeks ago and feels very comparable in the mids. It does sign off a little more on the top end than the '01, but it's geared lower right now, too. The bottom and mid-range make up, IMHO, for any difference in top end and an FMF Rev pipe might give it that top end. Whereas I'd never want to trail-ride my '01, I could trail ride this bike, no problem. I wouldn't buy a KX for the motor, (although I bought this bike from a 125cc WORCS racer) but me and KX's get along really good in the handling department. I'm short, Yamaha's are tall, and KX's ergos just fit me well. If I were taller, I'd have a YZ125, no question, but I'm not. The bike just feels really good to me, the power is better than adequate, it's easy to ride, and I bought it for fun, not racing.

Your appriasal is consistent with that offered in the various magazines "back then." The 125's are one of the best buys out there now. I am toying wit the notion of buying one since I am finding myself more and more on the track and less on the trail. MY KDX is fun, but its forks, weight and wide ratio gearing dont translate well to a closed course. The motor is suprisingly adaptable. But I am not one of those willing to committ funnycar level mods and/or an engine swap into a abandoned KX125 frame. There is a local dealer who still has a couple of "new" 05's for sale. Oh, I am but a few months away from being 50, and have alaways enjoyed the tiddlers. I dont race other then maybe one MX/off grand prix a year.

The YZ250 has a strong hit off the bottom. It can be a handful in woods at my skill level. That's why they make flywheel weights. :cool: