yamalast

Jan 25, 2001
Picked her up yesterday from Spaceport cycles, broke her in today on moist sand & sand/clay mix. WOW, it's FAST! :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw: Faster than I remember my 2000 being, particularly the hit at low RPM. The back kicks a sideways at every shift when you're gassing it, even in the moist sand. It definately needs a FWW just to get good traction.

I got about an hour actual ride time with all the cooldown cycles & the heat. Suspension is still stiff but works pretty good in the whoops. It does seem a little rich around 1/3 throttle if you fall off the pipe, I'll fix that shortly.

Very happy so far! :cool: :cool:

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Thank you for doing your part in the effort to keep smokers alive.

I'm doing my part- just bought an '05 KX125 to counteract the Big Blue Beast in my sig.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
My 05 YZ250 still has allot of life left in her... I love my bike, but with some regret, I am jumping ship after this bike and going with the WR next. I will always keep my YZ tho.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I'm doing my part- just bought an '05 KX125 to counteract the Big Blue Beast in my sig.[/QUOTE]

Could you offer an assesment of how the KX125 performs? Most articles declared the bike as being suited for beginners since it easy to keep on the pipe

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
duke said:
Could you offer an assesment of how the KX125 performs? Most articles declared the bike as being suited for beginners since it easy to keep on the pipe
Sure- first, I'm 45 years old and have been riding since I was 13, with a nearly 15 yr break for college, etc. I've been riding steadily for the past 11 years, though. Over the past 3 years, I've had an '01 KX125, '04 KTM 200sx, and KDX200 (all at the same time, too!). Sold them all last year and bought a YZ450F. So that's where I'm at. I got the '05 KX 'cause it's fun, the price was right, and I miss having a good 2-stroke for MX play-racing. This bike has an FMF Fatty and V-Force reeds, but is otherwise stock.

The '05 has MUCH more bottom end than the '01 (which had Pro Circuit pipe/silencer and V-Force reeds). It pulls almost as good off the bottom as a KTM 125sx I rode a few weeks ago and feels very comparable in the mids. It does sign off a little more on the top end than the '01, but it's geared lower right now, too. The bottom and mid-range make up, IMHO, for any difference in top end and an FMF Rev pipe might give it that top end. Whereas I'd never want to trail-ride my '01, I could trail ride this bike, no problem. I wouldn't buy a KX for the motor, (although I bought this bike from a 125cc WORCS racer) but me and KX's get along really good in the handling department. I'm short, Yamaha's are tall, and KX's ergos just fit me well. If I were taller, I'd have a YZ125, no question, but I'm not. The bike just feels really good to me, the power is better than adequate, it's easy to ride, and I bought it for fun, not racing.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Your appriasal is consistent with that offered in the various magazines "back then." The 125's are one of the best buys out there now. I am toying wit the notion of buying one since I am finding myself more and more on the track and less on the trail. MY KDX is fun, but its forks, weight and wide ratio gearing dont translate well to a closed course. The motor is suprisingly adaptable. But I am not one of those willing to committ funnycar level mods and/or an engine swap into a abandoned KX125 frame. There is a local dealer who still has a couple of "new" 05's for sale. Oh, I am but a few months away from being 50, and have alaways enjoyed the tiddlers. I dont race other then maybe one MX/off grand prix a year.

yamalast

Jan 25, 2001
The YZ250 has a strong hit off the bottom. It can be a handful in woods at my skill level. That's why they make flywheel weights. :cool:

Top Bottom