rustykdx175

Sep 30, 2008
Hi all, I'll tell ya a little about myself before i get into the bikes.
I'm a 22 yr. old female from Massachusetts, I'm majoring in dental hygiene and I drive an 04 P.O.S impala andddd I've always loved dirt bikes and four wheelers but never have owned any until about a week ago.

So now onto the important part, I bought 2 old dirtbikes about a week ago from a guy I now know didn't know to much about what he was selling. I bought a (between 81'-84')kdx175 and a
(maybe '86) kdx200.

kdx 200 needs:
a head or rather a new motor

kdx175 needs:
a magneto, spark plug coil,new chain, and clutch

ANY ADVICE?

eds_tls

Aug 26, 2008
its probally not what your going to want to hear....

Getting started in a new sport is tough and expensive enough as it is. Buying a bike, (or bikes), that needs fixing is just making things harder on yourself. Especially if you haven't worked on bikes much before. Well maintained and inexpensive dirtbikes are not hard to find. You have to ask yourself is the money and time and aggrivation you would put into these bikes really worth it?

I'm sure plenty of people can help and you definately can get these bikes going, but does it make sense? You still need money for gear, right?

Getting the service manuals for both these bikes would be a good start if you really want to get them going though.

BTW just because the guy told you the bike only "needs" these things, doesn't necessarily make it ture. He could be straight up BSing you or just not know what hes talking about. The list of things you need to fix could quickly grow as you start taking things apart and looking around

just my .02

Good luck!

Cuda70

Aug 25, 2008
Happy you're getting into dirt bikes...! I've already started 2 of my sons and they love it. For the bad news...
With the cost to fix your bikes you might find that you would probably find a good healthy bike for that or even less. Unless you're into getting mechanical and like getting dirty (and maybe spending a lot...) I would say buy a good used bike.
My son's 96 KDX200 cost me $1100 and is in great shape. I'm sure you'll find some great deals out there, I've seen a couple of 90 ~92 KDX200's either on Craigslist or Ebay for less than $900.
Good luck and happy riding...!

Last edited:

Top Bottom