Yamajeb

Feb 20, 2006
Hi all. I'm a new KDX owner - I bought an '03 220 within the past month. I'm coming off a TTR230 so, yeah, big difference. It seems like eons ago (actually nearly 25 years ago) but I did race - 125 class and 250 class, back in the days when Bob Hannah was becoming old hat and guys like Brad Lackey were the rave (like I said, a long time ago).

Anyway, bought my oldest son a crf50 last year, then bumped him up to a JR80 this year and decided I needed to ride with him!! Bought the TTR this past spring - I knew I would tire of it but didn't know it would be that quick (I didn't do my homework). Then I started to do my homework and figured out that a KDX was a good move, and now I'm there!!

What a bike, I love the feel. On the mild side but neat. Missed having some top end like the old days so I sprung for a Gnarly rev within a week of getting the bike. OH YEAH, that's more like it! Opened the airbox more, too. I've got a Wiseco kit, pin bearing, and top-end gasket set and plan on getting that done this weekend.

I could keep going about my "new" toy but I'll just say that I really feel like I made a great choice. BTW - I started up the TTR 'cause it's been sitting for a month (and for sale), then rode it - the thing actually seems pathetic now!!

Quick question: what do you 220 owners do to break in the Wiseco??

Thanks!!

saddletramp

Oct 6, 2006
No kidding, I just got back into riding last summer...bought a TTR 225 for me and a PW 80 for my six year old to get him off of his quad. The easy maintenance was nice on the air cooled thumper but it just did not fit (I'm a 6' old guy too). I picked up a nice kdx 200 after I sold the yamaha and could not be happier.
Anyways I just broke in a new wiseco on the kdx (2000 model) I am probably not the guy to give advice on this, but I can tell you what I did.
2-heat cycles
dont let it idle
let it cool completely after each cycle.
15 min. ride under load
re-torque all fasteners
I mixed break in fuel at 32-1 2-R

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Start the bike and leave to idle for 10 minutes , leave to cool down , check for leaks .
Start let idle for 5 minutes , ride slowly with no load for 15 minutes , let cool down.
Start let idle for 5 minutes , ride bit faster letting bike rev higher 15 minutes, without load , let cool down .
Start let idle 5 minutes , ride letting bike rev higher than previous ride 3/4 throttle 15 minutes and cool down ( no load ) .
Start again idle 5 minutes , ride without full throttle and no load on motor untill first tank finished .

At no time put the bike under load during run in and vary the revs , dont stay at one rpm for long .

Allways let the engine warm up properly with a Wiseco .

Yamajeb

Feb 20, 2006
Wiseco's in. No problems. I used Eric Gorr's method: warm up at lowest RPMs by manipulating throttle, once warm ride at less than 2/3rds throttle, on flat ground, for 30 minutes.

That's it. I let mine cool completely after the 30 minute ride. I've ridden it more since and everything seems fine.

Top Bottom