New Member, New Rider, and New KDX

kwb377

Dec 30, 2004
Hi everyone, new KDX owner and DRN member checking in. Just got done with my first ride on my new KDX...an '04 bought last Thursday. :cool: It was really more of an impulse purchase. My buddy's been hounding me to get a dirtbike, and so we went to the dealer to look around. Kawi's promo of $39/month for two years clinched it (was also looking at a TTR250).

I've been riding street bikes for 18 years (since 15...learned to ride on a KZ750) and have been a motor officer for the last two years, but this is my first dirtbike. I mountain biked for several years, so I had the basic technique down. The first 15 minutes or so of the ride I thought "WTH have I gotten myself into?" (new, stiff boots and a mal-adjusted shift lever didn't help). After that...what a sweet ride! The KDX is very forgiving for a newbie. Went trail riding, and two of the three guys I went with were on YZ's and race MX and sportbikes so my learning curve was very short. By the end of the day I was at least able to keep them in sight...and only crashed once (dropped it a few times, though). :)

Lots of great info here...I've got alot to learn. All I can say so far is...this bike rocks! :yeehaw:

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Its great to have you KWB337. Enjoy your new KDX and be sure to check out the JustKDX web site and the new bike prep section included there.

David

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Where did you guys go riding? I'm in Bham too. I haven't riden my bike since June 04 and I'm jonesing to go out and ride some. There's a lot of dirt bikers in Bham.

Welcome and enjoy the bike.

kwb377

Dec 30, 2004
Dave,
Thanks for the welcome...been checking out the site already (been staying up way too late reading all this stuff :) ).

Tim,
We left from the Hoover Met and went into Shelby Co. (crossed the Cahaba River). We wound up going a total of about 40 miles and there were tons more trails that we didn't get a chance to check out.

newkdxer

Jan 7, 2005
Tim and kwb, Also just got a new kdx- and I too live in Birmingham. You ought to try out The Ridge in Springville. They have over 400 acres of trails, an MX track, and another 3500 acres open behind their property. we will be there Sunday 1/9. Reply to this post and I'll let ya now where it is

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Timr said:
Where did you guys go riding? I'm in Bham too. I haven't riden my bike since June 04 and I'm jonesing to go out and ride some. There's a lot of dirt bikers in Bham.

Welcome and enjoy the bike.

Timmy
I know Wolverine was good but good god man, get back on that bike and ride even if it's not as awesome as MI woods. Some how we godda ride the woods together sometime.

Hey, we got a 2 day enduro this summer that includes wolverine and harrison....pretty neat!

www.d14enduro.org

PS; welcome 377 -enjoy

tax cutter

Nov 6, 2003
Newkdxer,
About how many miles of trails at The Ridge? Did you also ride in the 3500 acres? My bro-in-law (Gadsden) and I will go there some this year. Also want to check out Minooka.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
KWB,

I have never ridden at the Met per se. We used to ride in Helena before it was shut down. I understand you can get to some of the same trails out there by the river.

Tax,
I've heard of the Springville place. I'm willing check it out.

I'm out for the next two weekends, but maybe we can set something up after that.

Freddy,
You're right. I need to wash that little bit of MI dirt off and get out there. I'm eyeing a couple of SERA HS that are coming up in Feb. Our weather right now is great. It's 70 and sunny outside right now with now humidity and no leaves on the trail.

Some of your michigan crew are down here right now. The big Southeast Triple Sanction Cross County challenge is tomorrow and I know that Alan and a bunch of that KTM crew drove down here late last week to test and ride the race tomorrow.

I want to make another trip back up to MI this year. That two day enduro sounds good. A one day enduro doesn't seem like enough riding to make the trip worth while.

We'll see.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Timr said:
KWB,

Freddy,
You're right. I need to wash that little bit of MI dirt off and get out there. I'm eyeing a couple of SERA HS that are coming up in Feb. Our weather right now is great. It's 70 and sunny outside right now with now humidity and no leaves on the trail.

Some of your michigan crew are down here right now. The big Southeast Triple Sanction Cross County challenge is tomorrow and I know that Alan and a bunch of that KTM crew drove down here late last week to test and ride the race tomorrow.

I want to make another trip back up to MI this year. That two day enduro sounds good. A one day enduro doesn't seem like enough riding to make the trip worth while.

We'll see.

Tim, if ya make it I'll cook ya a Freddy Burger after the race!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom