Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
This thing was my old rotax thumper... not old anymore....motor had complete overhaul & sounds good. I need to get a new excellerator pump diaphragm for a dellorto carb. I was able to temporarily fix it by machining off the little rivet on the plunger, then drill& tap a #4-40 hole in it. This allowed me to make a diaphragm from an old inner tube, then screw the part back together & it worked, for now.
The rest of the bike is a mixture of parts from several old bikes & some new parts too. Approximately 6 more pieces to make & it will be ready for the hills at Jawbone over thanks giving. This project has taken many years to get all the parts, design the major components, find the time to build them,& own 4 other bikes & have a couple of kids in the mean time. (it's a heck of a lot easier to go to the motorcycle shop & buy one, but shops don't sell one off hill climbers such as this one, or kids such as the fine two sons we have been blessed with.) Last night the motor would fire for a few seconds & shut off, a varnished up pilot jet orifice & choke circuit was the culprit. It was just after 8 pm & my wife & kids had already retired & were asleep, there i was trying to sort things out with the starting problem, when she came barging in to the workshop, madder than a wet hen ! She was pissed! I got an earfull of how that thing shakes the whole house... :yell: I apologized & quietly tinkered with the carb some more & contemplated my next move for today. :coocoo:
Maybe I'll put up a photo tomorrow, Best Regards, Porkchop...

Last edited:

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Dellorto, Italiano ? or Espaniol?

Hey vintage Bob, the carb had a bit of water damage but it is all in good shape & looks fairly simple. I have a kit of rebuild parts but no diaphragm, I tried a piece of orange silicon sheet, that I have a roll of but it failed a soak test after 10 minutes. The inner tube material swelled a bit after an hour in a cup of gas & is still working. Today I found some gasoline compatible sheet in Mc Master Carr Supply co, that is a low durometer & the same required thickness. I have 2 other dellorotos from stunt puppy crash bikes that were gutted or parted out after film destruction gags, so there is a fair selection of jets & needles to work with. Care to share any of your experience with these carbs ? Any & all comments are always welcome. Thanks, Porkchop... :cool:
As for the attached garage, she should be happy I'm not a nitro-geezer, YET... just give it some time. :laugh:

Last edited:

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
project bike update:

Today I machined the rear axle adjusters, drilled & taped 2 sets of nesting positions in the billet aluminum swing arm trusses, primed & painted the low buck sub frame ( after I prove to my self that the sub frame design is good it will be reproduced in a lighter more costly material.) A piece if viton rubber sheet arrived today so new diaphragm was made to replace the temporary inner tube part, settling all of the carb issues. Another set of more refined oil hard lines were made to clean up my first attempt at the correct routing. A bilstein truck shock will be fitted tomarrow, requiring a new lower perch on the swing arm.A mount for a chain guide is next on the list then wiring loom& battery cables ect. A skid plate, & 2 more body/shroud mounts & I'll be able to throw a leg over it & go for a lap in the back 40 to give it a shake down, requiring a burn out or two. :yeehaw: Hopfully I'll be paying homage to the horsepower gods by then :worship: That's all for now.
Best Regards, Porkchop...
quote from legendary drag racer, Eddy Hill:
" There is no such thing as too much horsepower"

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Come on with the pics Porkchop! An old rotax, exactly what range of hp are we thinking here? 30 to 40, with a torque curve straight up? A truck shock??? I know a guy that uses old railroad car springs, but, the valving? Baja, the salt flats, hill climbs and drag strips. That would be about the end of the hp story Mr, Hill. Do you ever get a chance to go do donuts in Sieman's yard? The hp would help there. Good luck with that carb! May it keep the fuel where its supposed to go. Vintage Bob

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Hey Mr. vintage Bob, Careful there, I like ridicule, & this bike is ridiculous. As for the h.p. ? I'll have to ask herman the german & an other austrian pal that did the overhaul . It has a muzzy head, & was a runner the last time I rode it, 15 years ago. German made me do a competency test on his bike,( a fire breathin monster , in my opinion) prior to him agreeing to do my motor. As for the truck shock, I have a fox bike shock, but it has issue's that will not be resolved in time for next week,(soon to be a by-pass fully adjustable type.) Mr. Hill is a great guy, I met him in the early 80's at the drag boat races while helping a friend at a race in Pheonix. I'm glad he is still with us & doing well, MANY of the other boat drivers are not, Eddy holds the record for the fastest crash in an open cockpit boat & lived to tell the tale, but not without some bad injuries. I would have to travel aprox 500 miles to do doughnuts in SUPER HUNKY'S yard, which would not happen with out his blessing. As for the pics, when I figure out how to do it, it MIGHT happen, yea thats right, I 'm teasing you.( I'll let you in on a little secret, this drn web site is teaching me how not to be computer illiterate, prior to 1 month ago, I'm not kidding, I did not know how to turn the computer on. My lovely wife says our MAC is a hot rod & I believe her, considering what we have spent on it it had better be!) I feel like a 16 year old that has just earned his drivers license& got an Indy-car for his birthday, I'm an idiot in the drivers seat, so to speak, with no idea of what I'm doing, so please bear with me for I'm bound to make a few mistakes here or there getting past the learning curve. Any coaching will be well accepted & much appreciated. Thanks pal, Porkchop... :clue:

Last edited:

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Here you go gentlemen, look in gallery, project bike or hillclimber, Porkchop...

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Very good start! You have a Rotax project, like no other I have seen before. An overall view of the machine? I have to assume the diaphragm went well? Your pics, the first was a little shaky? The exhaust pic is killer! Great first upload! Keep them coming, plenty of room. Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
For the record:The difference between the Fox Forks and the Simons, How much better the Simons was than the OEM forks, thats how much better the Fox was over the Simons. The Fox came with their own stem installed and was an easy install. And, the Simons was yellow, yuch. I know a place with a bunch of them starting around 1500. That is about the going rate for a modern set of racing forks by the way. Vintage Bob

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Thanks for the definition & differentiation between the fox & simons, this project bike has right side up marzzochi forks that were on a 95 or 96 ktm exc in billet clamp set. I have two other wp fork sets, One with gold valve & other with stock ktm valving. Hard to say which will work the best for this application, trial & error method as usual, for now all it's got to do is go back down big hills with good control. Most anything works when the throttle is on, going up, but then there will be when I shorten up the wheel base & put on different rubber to see how it works on dirt fire roads & tight single track (if here is any left that the greeeenie extreamist poopoo heads have not closed, as if I'm going to give their deeds any credence.) :rotfl:
Thats all for now. Regards, Flying Iron Porkchop...

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Porkchop,

Is this bike the hill climber that you showed me a while back at Jawbone. That thing was slick.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Better Quality Pics, Druuueeelll At Will,

Funny how reading the manual helps get better photos.This is the result of what happens when I'm left to work with no adult supervision or budget, he he he . :rotfl: Porkchop

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
First ride report, project bike Rotax hillclimber

My first so called, lap around the block confirmed my suspisions of the seat being to high, it needs to be 2" lower. Also the rear suspension needs to be adjusted lower the same as the seat, 2". The footpeg to handle bar positioning is good& feels good when climbing . The drive angle relationship of the rear contact patch to the bikes c.g. feels very solid on steep hills with no tendency to wheelie. Rear suspension has big potential, feels stable on g-outs, rut crossings,& rock steps when climbing. Although this bike weighs in at 305 Lbs with a full load of fuel, 3.5 gallons is 28 lbs of fuel that is not in a tank at the top of the bike, so the ride feels quite nimble & i have yet to have it wheelie on me, I tried 5 burn outs while speed shifting 1-2-3 & all it does is hook up & accelerate, Quickly. Ditto on hills. Several issues need refinement & adjusting, I am pleased that the motor is still running & I managed not to crash it the first day out on a bike that is a radical departure from the current state of the art dirt bike. I must say , I'm being very cautious, the next outing will involve more aggressive hills. More tomarrow.... Porkchop :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
No video clips? Seemingly great news? You have done this before, but, not with an old thumper? Speed shifting any older trans is an accomplishment in itself! Without it scattering into a million pieces that is. Bringing the rear end down 2 inches sure sounds to me like its going to effect the hook up and wheelie thing? Vintage Bob

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
No video yet...

A video clip will happen when I'm ready to shoot one, first some refinements are necessary, it will be a week or so to get them addressed. Regards, Porkchop... :eek:

Top Bottom