DaveU

Oct 23, 2002
Plan on replacing the front and rear rubber
this off season.. '02 RM 125 stock dunlops
Ride some hard, some intermediate and some sand.
I'm sure there's lots of opinions, but I'm looking for performance and durability (I guess price is always an issue, but we all know ya get what ya pay for). Dunlops? Bridgestone? Kenda?

thanks in advance for any suggestions :o)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
You'll find one tire can't do it all. You could do what I do...run two rims/tires - one with a tire for hard pack and another rim for soft sand and mud.

BTW, I like Maxxis tires, but everyone will have their own opinion. Check the archive for the 1,000's of tire opinions here on DRN.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
It depends also on if you're riding tracks all of the time or riding off-road. Since all of my riding is off-road I need to choose a good all around tire as the terrain can go from rocky hard-pack to sand to mud all in the same ride. I also look for tires that wear well as I put a lot of miles in on each ride. My tire of choice (front and rear) for the mountains and deserts of So Cal is the Michelin M-12. I doubt this would be a good MX tire, but it's a great all around tire for the terrain I ride.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i vote for the maxxis intermediate terrain. i had michelin m12's and hated them, they showed signs of signifigant wear after only 3 hours of woods riding, and was awful on the mx track, they are a directional tire too so you cant flip them on the rim. my friend uses one of the michelin starcross tires, he loves it and it is a non- directional tire. the 756 dunlop is also another of my favorites, they it didnt last long either but performed very well in the woods and on the mx track.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have friends that run the Michelin m12. I have found the traction of the s12 to be better, and the s12 holds up far better. Good traction on wet and dry. Digs great for hillclimbs and woods, and is awesome on the track. Holds up very well on hard pack and rocky terrain.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
my friend uses one of the michelin starcross tires, he loves it and it is a non- directional tire

I have buddy that runs them and loves them. The only problem is that you can't get them in an 18" rear. You must have a newwr mx with 19 inch wheel. I was wanting to give the front starcross a try with the S-12 rear.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Best I've found for Intermediate are Dunlop 756 ... front and rear. The new 742 that comes on the CRF (front) is awesome (better than a 756 in mixed terrain IMHO). Problem is Dunlops wear pretty fast, try the Maxxis IT Rear and HT front. Good stuff. Cheap and last a lot longer than the Dunlops.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I replaced my worn out 756 with a IRC VE33 on the rear

VE33 wears like iron, great traction too, in lots of different terrain. I did not care much for the 756, it was just too squirly in mud and loose dirt.

756 makes a great front tire though.

The VE33 does not look like its as wide as the 756 in the same size (110/100-18)
maybe it's because its a different shape tire??

DaveU

Oct 23, 2002
Thanks for all the input guys !
It's just killer that a guy can discuss stuff like this before
going out and laying down the ca$h on a disappointment.
I've been lookin real hard at the maxxis IT tires, probably
what I'll end up with.
Thansk Again !
Props to the site and the Forums! :oD

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by wibby
I replaced my worn out 756 with a IRC VE33 on the rear

VE33 wears like iron, great traction too, in lots of different terrain. I did not care much for the 756, it was just too squirly in mud and loose dirt.

The VE33 does not look like its as wide as the 756 in the same size (110/100-18)
maybe it's because its a different shape tire??

I agree.  IRC from a wear perspective are very good.

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
anyone try those new expensive dunlop "race" tires yet?I"m thinking if they are that much better i"ll fork over the bucks since front tires last so long ridin off_road here in the land of corn:beans

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom