New to forum, and dirtbiking...brother has bike...makes me want one...YZ? CR? RM?

MJE

Sep 1, 2006
Hello everyone,

I'm 24 years old about 5 foot 9 and 155 lbs I rode my brothers RM125 and realized that I want a dirtbike for myself. I'd be buying brand new probably a leftover from 2006. My thoughts were to get nothing bigger than a 125 considering ive never ridden dirtbikes before aside from a couple of laps around a cranberry bog or two. I always had 4x4 machines (suzuki vinson 500's) and I am buying a 07 raptor this winter. What considerations should I make? A 250 is out of the question especially for a new rider correct?? I'm sure theres a ton of honda vs. yamaha threads etc but a few quick nudges in the right direction are good for me. This year I bought two 2006 Yamaha GP1300R jetskis and I'm very happy with Yamaha. I already owned two 2003 Suzuki Vinson 500 ATV's.

thanks

-MJE-

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
First of all are you sure you want a 125 or 250 4-stroke? Go for 125! I've had bad experiences with yamahas (all bikes) although lots of people say yamahas are liable and durable bikes. Ironically everyone i know who owns a yamaha gets trouble. Durability/liability=Honda
I know KTM are very performant but I would be hesitant in buying an orange bike. Stick to blue, red, yellow, or green. I've now got a green bike and I'm very happy with it. My kicker for 06-07 are suzukis though. It's personal choice but consider the following:
- What am looking for? ex performance, durability, etc
- Who are my nearby dealers?
- How expensive is the bike?
- Have I got friends who can help me repair the bike (your bro)?
- etc

Good luck :cool:

MJE

Sep 1, 2006
Mostly I just don't want to kill myself...im not that young anymore but I want to expand into something new and challenging like dirtbikes. I don't know if i'll be doing too much riding at the tracks...probably more through the power lines over whoops etc. I'm 5 foot 9ish and about 155lbs maybe 160 so wouldnt a 250 be wayyy too much for me?

-Mike

again IVE NEVER RIDDEN A DIRTBIKE BEFORE :)

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
IMHO a 250 2 stroke wouldn't be to much. Yes they have more power than a 125 but it is easier to use power. The 125's can be anemic at the bottom end and hard to use on a trail. The 4 or 5 125's I have rode needed to be reved to the moon to get anything out of them.

Maybe you should look into a KDX. If you aren't going to ride MX a KDX is one of the top choices. I almost wish I had one seeing as how I quickly learned that I enjoy trail riding more than motocross, the engine on a KDX is like an electric golf cart. Extra smooth and they just go. Plus they are inexpensive.

I think a 125 is alot harder to ride than a 250, a 250 has lots of power and some of it is useable down low. You will be just fine on a bigger bike. Your attitude is the important part.

I really think if you get a smaller bike you would regret it later on.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
just pick a color and go, but a more trail oriented bike is the kdx or the ktm's exc line for the most part. But any bike you do buy you will most likely have to set it up for your riding needs anyhow. I only ride trails/rocks and I have a 99 rm250 for that so anything can be set up for what you plan on riding

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
I agree with everybody else that a 250 is easier to ride than a 125 but if your a beginner i'd get somethign thats more forgiving. A CRF 250 would be a good beginner bike. A cheaper alternative is a KDX. I have one and it''d be a great beginner bike although i've been riding for years and still like it.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
94formy said:
I agree with everybody else that a 250 is easier to ride than a 125 but if your a beginner i'd get somethign thats more forgiving. A CRF 250 would be a good beginner bike. A cheaper alternative is a KDX. I have one and it''d be a great beginner bike although i've been riding for years and still like it.

He is 24 not 12, it makes a big difference in learning how to ride on a bigger bike.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
True, but a first-time rider on a 250 motocrosser is still probably not wise. That much power attached to your right wrist can make a big mess of things in a hurry if you make a mistake. Something like a KDX200 makes a lot more sense for a new rider.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom