Rizoss16

Feb 11, 2006
I recently bought a brand new, 06 yamaha tt-r230 from a dealer, I also bought a bike carrier there for the hitch on my jeep. I spent a little over $4100 at the dealer, including the carrier, the bike, the bike tax, the bike freight fee, ect. Then, when Im putting the bike on my rack to take it home the service guy comes out and lets me know that i have to bring it back for
valve clearance service or something. He said after 20hours, i have to bring it back, so they can service it. I know the bike needs to be broken in and then have the valves reset (or something like that) after 20 hours. He told me they charge $125/hour, and that it will probobly take about 2 hours. I asked about if it was under waranty, or if they could do it out of common courtosey after the fact that i just spent over 4K in their store. But, its not covered under the 90 day warranty and I have to pay.
Is this normal? should they do it free of charge since its kind of a manditory service, as i was told?
Is setting the valves a hard thing to do?
I love the bike by the way, its awsome, got about 6 hours of harcore trail riding on it already, im just angry that the dealers going to make me pay them another $300, when im already in debt from buying the bike.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I'd be willing to bet that most TT-Rs never have the valve covers removed.

If you have reasonably good mechanical skills, you can do it yourself. I believe the procedure is even outlined in the owner's manual.

It shouldn't take a dealer more than 1/2 hour to do it and $60 per hour is closer to the going rate.

Who is this dealer?

Rizoss16

Feb 11, 2006
I dont have many mechanical skills, and its not in the owners manual, and the dealer is Libbys Motor world in new haven, ct.
Are the valves very important to have reset? Or does it not really matter?
I guess Im going to have to pay. Oh well.

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
It is my understanding that the ttr's have an "xr" type motor, and should be very reliable without major maintenance like a crf or yzf.

Rizoss16

Feb 11, 2006
I guess Ill give it a try myself, I just ordered the shop manual on cd in .pdf format from **** for $10.32 with shipping. I really hope I dont screw anything up!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Just take your time. Chances are, they won't need any adjusment. Once you remove the covers, you'll get a good idea of what's going on in there and you can check the clearance with a feeler guage. If at that point you see that they need adjustment, but don't feel comfortable with doing it, you can just replace the covers and take it to the dealer.

I'd look for a dealer with a more reasonable labor charge.

Top Bottom