berlinetta

Dec 16, 2006
Let me start by saying lesson learned! So here's what I did. I took my bike out the day I bought it (about 3 weeks ago) for a ride. This is my first dirtbike so I was pretty stoked to get on it (I've owned 3 sportsbikes in the past) So anyway, the ride went well, the bike hadn't been ridden for a year so I took it easy. So I went to the carwash afterward and sprayed it down. All is good right? No. I didn't plug the silencer and got water down there. It had to be minimal, I'm retarded but not retarded enough to hit it directly with the nozzle. So I pulled the plug, gave it a few kicks, replaced the plug and it runs pretty good now. But it's very loud, so this weekend I'm going to repack the silencer. Retarded, I know. But my question is this:

When I spray it off next time I'll definitley use a butt-plug, but what else do I need to be careful of when power washing? Like I said, first dirtbike :bang:

berlinetta

Dec 16, 2006
one more thing, is there a general maintainance thread that is CR specific? Ive been searching and came across a few things close

rushy08

Jul 17, 2006
lube points are chain, clutch, throttle assembly and bottom of shock that i know of. just make sure not to get it anywhere near your disc brakes.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
berlinetta said:
Let me start by saying lesson learned! So here's what I did. I took my bike out the day I bought it (about 3 weeks ago) for a ride. This is my first dirtbike so I was pretty stoked to get on it (I've owned 3 sportsbikes in the past) So anyway, the ride went well, the bike hadn't been ridden for a year so I took it easy. So I went to the carwash afterward and sprayed it down. All is good right? No. I didn't plug the silencer and got water down there. It had to be minimal, I'm retarded but not retarded enough to hit it directly with the nozzle. So I pulled the plug, gave it a few kicks, replaced the plug and it runs pretty good now. But it's very loud, so this weekend I'm going to repack the silencer. Retarded, I know. But my question is this:

When I spray it off next time I'll definitley use a butt-plug, but what else do I need to be careful of when power washing? Like I said, first dirtbike :bang:

Stay away from bearings and seals with the high pressure spray.

Better yet, stay away from the bike with a high pressure spray. Sure, you've probably seen the pro teams using them on their bikes, but they rebuild them alot more frequently than you can afford to.

Best bet is the garden hose and a nice stiff brush. Works real well for me.

Then hit the chain with WD-40 after the wash.

I then take time with a towel and wipe everything down. Gives me a good chance to check everything over real well, make sure everything is tight and nothing is broken.

When I take off my seat to do the air cleaner, I go ahead and take off the radiator shrouds and tank and clean under there.

I don't have the cleanest bike there is, but it's alot cleaner than some I know of.

ur730im911

Uhhh...
Dec 4, 2006
ya the car wash power washers are a little to powerfull i use a low pressure power washer i agree with what they sed but id also say dont spray the radiators a even a high pressure hose could damage them

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I use a pressure washer on ours all the time. I try not to spray directly at a bearing or seal but I'll replace/regrease the odd bearing rather than spend an hour at a time to get the bike clean. If you're not sealing off water access to the airbox it's time to change the airfilter after washing the bike.

berlinetta

Dec 16, 2006
luckily I was smart enough not to hit the airbox with water, thanks for pointing that out. I did replace the filter and plug though. I went with a disposable filter so I don't have to toil with cleaning/oiling. So say I was to continue using a pressure washer (hypothetically, of course) would it be enough to hit the bearings with white lithium grease after each wash?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
berlinetta said:
luckily I was smart enough not to hit the airbox with water, thanks for pointing that out. I did replace the filter and plug though. I went with a disposable filter so I don't have to toil with cleaning/oiling. So say I was to continue using a pressure washer (hypothetically, of course) would it be enough to hit the bearings with white lithium grease after each wash?

The problem with pressure washing bearings and seals is you tend to push the dirt and water into the bearings and seals.

Obviously this isn't good for them. I'd just avoid directly spraying them with high pressure. Your stuff will last longer that way.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Like Indy says just avoid a direct blast at your wheel/linkage and steering stem bearings from close range trying get caked on dirt off. I usually pre spray the bike with simple green or Pro Clean to get everything loosened up and then get out the power washer.

As far as the air filter, I have seen some reports of dirt getting by the disposable (Ready Filters). I tend to use Twin Air filters and have multiple ones so I can clean them in a batch once I run out of clean filters.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
I always take the airfilter out first, and put an airbox cover in its place (I have the Twin-Air one for my YZ250 and my son's YZ85. Work great and don't allow any water by) I then wash them with the seats off so I also can clean the airbox out as well. Once dry and basic lubing is done I put a clean/oiled airfilter back in, bolt on the seat and its ready for the next ride.

I also NEVER use a high pressure washer on them; just regular hose pressure and lots of elbow grease where needed.

berlinetta

Dec 16, 2006
very nice, thanks again fellas! I'm liking this forum. Where can I pick up an Airbox cover? Edit: found one and ordered. Thanks Hamblin :cool:

As for the power washing, I think I'll be steering clear of that. I'll go pick up some more simplegreen and presoak with that. Thanks again guys!

Now if our snow would melt so I could ride.... :ride:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
berlinetta said:
very nice, thanks again fellas! I'm liking this forum. Where can I pick up an Airbox cover? Edit: found one and ordered. Thanks Hamblin :cool:

As for the power washing, I think I'll be steering clear of that. I'll go pick up some more simplegreen and presoak with that. Thanks again guys!

Now if our snow would melt so I could ride.... :ride:

Dirtbikes work on snow too...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Their is foam seals (haha) on your airbox,under the metal flange to the airbox and around the rear carb intake, this is the worst setup ever! They fall apart very fast, that heeb flange warps, you can blow water in through this seal. Newer bikes you can get an all billet assembly that looks really nice. Grit laden water can suck through your filter if started after washing and water +oil makes for a clogged filter.

berlinetta

Dec 16, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Their is foam seals (haha) on your airbox,under the metal flange to the airbox and around the rear carb intake, this is the worst setup ever! They fall apart very fast, that heeb flange warps, you can blow water in through this seal. Newer bikes you can get an all billet assembly that looks really nice. Grit laden water can suck through your filter if started after washing and water +oil makes for a clogged filter.
any idea if they make one for my bike? I took the airbox out to clean it and I agree, that setup sucks. I torqued all the bolts down pretty well, but I can see your point

berlinetta

Dec 16, 2006
OK, I found it. The Twin Air site shows the seal rings for 02-06< I'll give em a call after christmas and see what they say. Thanks again :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom