Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
March 19, 2002

Nick Wey gets Team Suzuki factory offer

Racer X has learned that Moto XXX privateer Yamaha rider Nick Wey has been approached by Team Suzuki about replacing the injured Kevin Windham on the 250cc SoBe Suzuki factory team. Wey, who has previously ridden for the Splitfire/Pro Circuit Kawasaki and Yamaha of Troy semi-factory teams, was left without a ride this year after pointing out of the 125 class for supercross. He has been riding well for the Moto XXX and is currently tied for ninth in the EA Sports Supercross Series. If all goes according to plan, Wey will begin riding Windham's factory RM250 this weekend at Houston and will stay with the team throughout the 2002 season. He will be joined by Travis Pastrana as soon as Pastrana is off the disabled list due to a chronic sinus problem that required surgery (and having his tonsils removed). Wey's fellow privateer Robbie Reynard was also said to have been approached by he team but a deal could not be reached. Stay tuned for more details as they become available.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Good for Nick Wey! I was suprised that Reynard turned team Suzuki down. That may have been his last factory offer:( I hope Wey doesn't flame out like Reynard has.

Starwest #9

Nov 7, 2001
Good for Nick ! ! Now we can see what a factory bike can do for your results with a determined rider. Reynard's a fool for asking for more than he is currently worth! ! Look at his results last weekend. He'll be luck to pick-up an arena cross deal at this rate.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Way to Go Wey!

BAD FOR REYNORD, GOOD FOR WEY.
I think Nick is on the way up. Maybe the zookie team will be what he needs:cool:

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
does this mean that steve mathes is out of a job? im assuming that team suzuki will want to use windhams mechanic and not wey's. things are looking good for wey,after the whole mcgrath thing happend.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Contractual conflagrations keep Wey with MotoXXX :debil:

According to Jay Schweitzer of Moto XXX, Nick Wey will not be going to Team Suzuki after all. "Suzuki didn't want to buy the contract out, including the expenses we've put into him so far," said Schweitzer, "so he's staying with us."
Too bad for Wey. I thought MotoX3 would be cooler about letting a guy go if he scored a mid-season factory ride. I guess it pays to read your contract.

Starwest #9

Nov 7, 2001
That just sucks! ! ! I wanted to see what Wey could do with some factory equip. Suzki should just go ahead and give him a bike and alow him to run the Moto XXX logo along with the Sobe logo.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I think that Nick is very deserving of a factory ride and should have one, however I'm not convinced that a mid season move to Suzuki would have been the best thing for him. Nick has been on Yamaha's for a while now and then getting thrown right onto a different bike might have not worked out for the best. Nick definitely would have been on good equipment but he has been riding pretty well aboard his XXX Yamaha. If he struggled to adapt to the Suzuki it could have really done serious harm to his career and ability to get a future ride. I'll keep cheering for Nick each weekend and if he can keep improving in the results his shot at a factory bike will be back.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
It's interesting that some guy from MotoXXX was on the DMXS radio show this week, explaining that Nick stuck with MotoXXX because he was committed to his employer and felt that DeCoster "snuck" in behind the scenes to try to steal him away.:eek: Word has it, he did go ahead & ride Windham's bike, and felt it was much better than his YZ (this guy said Suzuki had 70,000 bones in the bike, 50,000 of which was probably in the suspension alone:scream: ), but he let everyone know that even if the contract buyout dispute was resolved, he'd still be staying with MotoXXX.

Cool dude.:cool:
But I'd like to hear DeCoster's side of the story.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by nephron
this guy said Suzuki had 70,000 bones in the bike, 50,000 of which was probably in the suspension alone:scream: .

If only AMA races were still claiming races.:p

Mark Hammond

Apr 6, 2000
If Wey were to ride the Suzuki wouldn't he then not be entitled to the privateer prize and bonus money he has been getting ?, so then maybe the deal with Suzuki doesen't look so good.

Top Bottom