shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
A buddy of mine just bought a 92 suzuki dr250 for about 100 bucks and its in decent shape. We replaced the air filter, changed the oil and spark plug. We tried to kickstart it and the light in the front goes on with each kick and shines bright. We then pulled the plug out and we arnt getting a spark at all when we try to kick start the bike. Someone said it might be the CDI unit, but wouldnt the light not go on if it was the CDIs problem? I dont know much about the electrical components of dirtbikes so if you guys could help me out that would awesome..thanks again

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
First thing I would do would be to check all connections. Start at the flywheel and work your way to the spark plug boot (or vice-versa). An ohmeter would be helpful. Also try kicking the bike over while you twist and gently pull and push on wires. If you get a spark suddenly, you've found a broken wire or bad connection.

If you got it for 100 bucks, it probably is the cdi. You're looking at more than you paid for the bike to replace the cdi. Ebay is a good place to look for a cheap one.

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
CDI is what im thinking, but whats up with the front headlight going on..wouldnt the headlight not go on if it was a faulty CDI. Im guessing that it is bad wiring going from the CDI to the sparkplug..

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
Most bikes with a light have two seperate coils.One for the ignition and the
other a lighting coil,so it would make since that this is happening.I would look
like mentioned for loose wires,grounds,and check with a meter the coils ect.
You can check every part except a cdi unit to rule out the one causing the
problem.
overbore.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
shiftmx731 said:
We then pulled the plug out and we arnt getting a spark at all when we try to kick start the bike.
This may seem too obvious but did you hold the plug against the cylinder while you were kicking? If not, you should.

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
yeah we held the plug against the cylider for ground and no spark..I guess I have to get volt meter. so you guys think its a bad coil? not cdi?

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
yah I thought about that..right now the kill switch isnt held down or anything, but it very well could be shorted out. so many things could be the culprit, I guess I better just start from the bottom up..thanks so far to everyone who has contributed. My buddy said..Ill just take it to the shop and see if they can tell me whats wrong but I said let me post on dirtrider in many cases theyre joint knowledge is far superior to a mechanic and theyve walked me through tons problems in the past..thanks again guys

Top Bottom