Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
My 1993 KDX250 has been running worse and worse over the last few days. It died completely and now has no spark even from the coil wire. What is the most common part to go bad?
Thanks
:ugg:

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
There are a number of failures that can cause this. The CDI unit is difficult to diagnose as I believe that the only test is to try a known good part. You may want to consult your manual and go through the whole ignition system from beginning to end. There are a number of tests that you can perform on individual components as well. You may want to check;

- CI Unit
- frayed wires or lose connections
- ignition coil inside the magneto
- pickup coil
- primary coil just before the spark plug wire

Electrical failures are tricky to diagnose. You may also want to check each wire in the harness for resistance from end to end. Sometimes a wire can break internally with no marks on the outer insulation.

Good Luck!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
WildBill stated some very good info. Trouble shoot it out and you will find your problem.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Good job WildBill!

Be sure to check the ground wire and the kill switch as well. If you've got a manual and a multi meter you'll be able to check the CDI. A word of caution, watch for resistance's that are completely out of wack with what the manual recommends. Its been my experience that a cdi, even new, can give readings outside the service limit and still be in good working order. Variation from the factory service limits could be due to temp, variations in manufacturing ? ? ?

Good luck,

David

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Also check the spark plug cap, make sure it's pushed on good and tight.
If all else fails check the flywheel key.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
before you go buy a cdi, but the stator coil first, my yz had to have two of those over the last few years...you may can buy the coils and the plate together.. that way, you won't have to soder anything and its easy to put in.. check a kawasaki oem dealer in back of the magazines, mine was 200 bux.

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
Thanks guys! Testing showed me that my CDI is infact bad. The readings are off the chart and everything else checks out good. I hope I can find a used one. They want$225.00 for a new one hfere in PA.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom