hboe52

May 23, 2009
Hey today I just bought my first 2-stroke bike, I never never even ridden one, I havent ran it for more than 5 mins yet though. I was wondering if it is supposed to smoke out of the pipe when you give it gas, or will it go away after a few mins of riding.

2strokes4life

Apr 1, 2009
I just wanted to tell you also to make sure you warm that engine up good before you ride it hard. I normally let mine idle for a few minutes and then just ride it slow and baby it till the cylinder feels really warm with my gloves on or the radiator cap feels warm to your naked hand. This thorough warm up will save your engine. These engines will definitely break down if you just start it up and dog it. Sorry if you already know this.

hboe52

May 23, 2009
Thanks, all info is really appriciated, if you have anymore stuff or insider info if love to know, Ive been sitting back readin in this forum for about a month or so now and I thought i knew all i needed but there is never enough info lol.

truckster225

Jun 11, 2009
Ya, definitely warm it up, I agree. If the smoke does NOT disappear in a few minutes, it could just mean your gas-oil ratio is too high. Dont sweat it, its no big deal. Just make sure you locate the proper mixture for your bike, and try again. If its oil injected, you may need to make a few adjustments on your cables.

What bike and year is it?

hboe52

May 23, 2009
Its a CR 125 2004. When i got it, the man said he ran what to manuel told him to run wich was like 20 to 1 or 30 to 1. He said it was fowling plugs so he switched to 50 to 1 and it didnt fowl plugs since, when i rolled it out today though it was leaking gas so i fiddled around with it and then gave the back gas(with the bike off. and to add to that i doubt that had anything to do with it) and then turned the gas on and it didnt leak, but then when i cranked it up it didnt idle... so i turned the idle speed up and it idled fine, then after that i checked the oil and it had metal shavings in it so now im going to the store to change the oil and mabey take it out for a ride, that is if none of what i told you means i shouldnt.

truckster225

Jun 11, 2009
Umm, metal shaving's in the oil where? In the engine?? Or in the reservoir? if its in the engine, thats not a good thing(I dont think) That can be a sign of a couple seized or broken bearings to name a few.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Not uncommon for there to be very tiny metal shavings in the oil of a 2 stroke, especially a 125, this is why you change the oil often.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
hboe52 said:
Its a CR 125 2004. When i got it, the man said he ran what to manuel told him to run wich was like 20 to 1 or 30 to 1. He said it was fowling plugs so he switched to 50 to 1 and it didnt fowl plugs since, when i rolled it out today though it was leaking gas so i fiddled around with it and then gave the back gas(with the bike off. and to add to that i doubt that had anything to do with it) and then turned the gas on and it didnt leak, but then when i cranked it up it didnt idle... so i turned the idle speed up and it idled fine, then after that i checked the oil and it had metal shavings in it so now im going to the store to change the oil and mabey take it out for a ride, that is if none of what i told you means i shouldnt.

How big were the shavings? If it looks like shiney dust, then it is just you're clutch. That is normal. But if not, most of the time shavings involve the crankshaft or crank bearings.

hboe52

May 23, 2009
It wasnt a whole lot of it or very big, just like glitter or somthing... I think shiny dust like what you said.

hboe52

May 23, 2009
What are some good aftermarket parts I should get?

I already have a fatty, FMF and stock silencer, and the suspension is set up for around my weight. What else do you think I should get that would give me a good performance increase?

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
before you get into hoping it up spend time practicing on it first, really the best performance increase would be the performance of the rider. get into shape by riding and practicing on it before any reall hot roding.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
hboe52 said:
It wasnt a whole lot of it or very big, just like glitter or somthing... I think shiny dust like what you said.

Clutch debris.

The clutch operates in an oil bath, in the same oil that is used to lubricate the transmission. As you would expect, the clutch wears, and as is wears the particles of the friction plates end up in the oil. The more you slip the clutch, the more it wears. 125s tend to have their clutch slipped a lot......

Like chili said, this is why it is important to change the oil frequently as you don't want all that friction material in the bearings.

As for the smoke: two strokes smoke. Period. There will always be some. The more oil in the gas, the more it will smoke. If the bike is tuned properly (carburetor jetting) then the smoke will be reduced but there will always be some.

Rod

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
truckster225 said:
If the smoke does NOT disappear in a few minutes, it could just mean your gas-oil ratio is too high.
BAD INFO, truckster!!!!!!!!!!
Read the jetting link at the top of this forum. Your bike will smoke! How much depends on the proper Air/Fuel ratio NOT the fuel/oil ratio. Expext your bike to smoke everytime you start it up cold, use the choke only as long as necessary to run. Revving the bike repeatedly will help to prevent build up in the cold engine just short bursts.
The jetting link really explains everything well and it is NOT hard to do.

hboe52

May 23, 2009
Actually i checked it out and I couldnt find any helpfull post, Im not sure what all screws are which, which way to turn, or anything..

Also im having problems staying up in the powerband, i was started on a 4 stroke and im extremely used to letting off the gas and stuff, any good tips on this or will i have to get used to it with time?

hboe52

May 23, 2009
Hey guys, i just drove an hour to a track today and withing 2 slow laps my engine siezed up on my, my kickstarter wont budge, anyone know the cheapest parts??

will0203

Mar 17, 2009
50:1 is really lean. that might be the reason the bike siezed. the same thing happend to me the day I bought my bike and I had to get the top and bottom end rebuilt. I got a wiseco prolite pistond and hotrod cranks put in for about 835.00 on my 99 rm 125. but idk, I would just start runnin it 30:1

eagles22793

May 25, 2008
Go on ebay to find new parts for your bike and you only have to replace the parts that are broken or if they need to be replaced. Many people replace the cranks for no reason and they are still good and if you dont mess with the crank you will save a hole lot of money by not replacing anything in the bottom end if not needed. That really sucks that your bike broke but I just got a yz250 and it started nocking in the top end because of some firing issue but stoped just in time so nothing came apart

hboe52

May 23, 2009
Tore the top end apart yesterday............the skirt shatterd so im assuming there is absolutly no way to prevent tearing into the bottom end to get to the crank right? Ive already actually turned my bike upside down and tried to get the pieces to fall out.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
hboe52 said:
Tore the top end apart yesterday............the skirt shatterd so im assuming there is absolutly no way to prevent tearing into the bottom end to get to the crank right? Ive already actually turned my bike upside down and tried to get the pieces to fall out.

If you want your engine to last, there is no alternative to splitting the cases. Replace main bearings/seals and inspect rod bearing when you're in there.

hboe52

May 23, 2009
i talked to the local mechanic shop and he said all i needed to do was to spray the crancase out with an airhose and that sould get everything out. I got my parts ordered and they should be in by this weekend.

Top Bottom