MikeKX250

Mar 21, 2001
I`m looking for an O-ring chain that is narrow enough to clear the transmission case on my 99 KX250. When I bought the bike it had an O-ring chain on it, the chain was wearing into the transmission case. I don`t know what brand chain it was, but I imagine some chains are wider then others.

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
That problem has been discussed on the site and the verdict was to go with an RK chain. I went with their X-ring chain and like it very much. No problem with the cases.

Gyrros

Mar 8, 2000
I have the RK Xring (xso) on my kx265 and really like it. It does not rub the case at all and I Didn't feel any power loss.

MikeKX250

Mar 21, 2001
What do you like for sprockets? This last time I tried the Renthal R-1 non o-ring chain with Primary Drive sprockets. The combination didn`t last long, the first few rides the chain was ok then I had to adjust it before every ride. Now the sprockets are shot, so it was probably the chain that wiped out the sprockets, right? Can you run cheap sprockets if you use a good chain?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Cheap sprockets and good chain is much better than the other way around. I suggest both good chain and sprockets...if you want them to last. No matter what, if you don't clean, lube, adjust on a regular basis, nothing will last.

02YZRulz

Nov 13, 2001
MikeKX250, I would recommend staying away from the o-ring and x-ring chains on the KX. I could not find any combination that worked on my 99 KX-250. It just seems that there is not enough clearance on the KX's for one of these chains. I run the DID-ert and have never had a problem. Just my.02. Good Luck!

02YZRulz

Nov 13, 2001
Mike, sorry to say I did not try the Rk o-ring or x-ring. I am sure you can run one without doing any serious damage, but I guarantee that it will shave some metal off of your cases. The clearance is just too tight. I have tried chains from DID, Renthal and Regina. I had the same problem with all of them. I would stick with the non o ring. Just my humble opinion. Good Luck.

02YZRulz

Nov 13, 2001
SeniorKX, I just saw your frown...lol! I am not trying to insult you at all. I am just giving an honest opinion. I do not believe that you can run an o-ring chain on a KX-250. Don't get me wrong, I know that you can use one and not do any serious damage but you will shave a little off of your case. In all fairness, I have never run an RK. If you say that it works, I have no reason to doubt you. I just would not put one on my bike. Ride safe!

MikeKX250

Mar 21, 2001
I`m just sick of non-oring chains not lasting. I used a Renthal R-1 works chain, It didn`t last 4 months. The first few rides it was ok but ever since then I have adjusted before every ride. Yes I cleaned and lubed it all the time the chain just didn`t last.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by 02YZRulz
SeniorKX, I just saw your frown...lol! I am not trying to insult you at all. I am just giving an honest opinion. I do not believe that you can run an o-ring chain on a KX-250. Don't get me wrong, I know that you can use one and not do any serious damage but you will shave a little off of your case. In all fairness, I have never run an RK. If you say that it works, I have no reason to doubt you. I just would not put one on my bike. Ride safe!

I have had an o-ring chain on my KX since new and there is not a mark on the cases. Not even a scuff. Would you like a picture :D

MikeKX250

Mar 21, 2001
Senior KX, Have you tried any other brand of o-ring chain besides the RK? My bike had an o-ring chain on it when I bought it, and it left some deep grooves in the case. I don`t know what brand of chain it was. Hopefully the RK is narowwer then the other brands and it will work for me.

02YZRulz

Nov 13, 2001
SeniorKX, no thanks, I do not need a picture. However, maybe MikeKX250 would like to see it. He is the one who is indecisive about which type of chain to buy. It is a personal thing with me but I will not put an o-ring chain on my KX.

More importantly, MikeKX250, I can not believe that you are wearing out chains in 4 months. The stock chain on my Yamaha has lasted that long. I can usually get about 40-50 hours out of chains and sprockets. Cleaning and lubing is super important, but you have to make sure they are properly adjusted too. Is it posible that you are leaving too much slack in the chain???
Just a thought. All of this talk about chains and sprockets made me order a new combo. I went with the Talons w/ DID-ERT chain. I will give a report soon. Mike, good luck. Keep us posted on what you decide and how it works out. Ride Safe!

MikeKX250

Mar 21, 2001
I cleaned and lubed the chain before every ride, as far as slack I leave about 2 1/4" between the chain and swingarm at the slider. My friend hhhput an o-ring chain on his 86 KX250 at the same time I canged my chain, he hasn`t adjusted his yet. I do a lot of jumping though, I don`t know if thats causing the wear or not?

Top Bottom