Lang

Dec 4, 2000
i don´t know if u have different octanelevels i the states but any way.. i was out riding yesterday and normally i drive on 98 octane but this time i borrowed some from a friend and it was 95.. The bike felt powerless in the bottom and stopped all the time, only when i turn on after a corner.
hoping that is the problem...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Lang
hoping that is the problem...

Probably not. If you didn't hear the engine knocking or see any signs of abnormal combustion on the plug like black, brown, or silver pepper looking specs I'd look elsewhere for the problem.

B

biglou

Thanks to Rich I now have a drawer in my filing cabinet labeled "Technical Papers"! So I hope I get this correct:
Lang is probably refering to the RON (Research Octane Number). I believe it is commonly used in Europe instead of the MON (Motor Octane Number). The latter being more valid for high-performance applications.
The U.S. octane number is derived from the RON+MON/2 (R+M/2). You will see this formula on gas pumps on the octane label. Our (U.S.) octane number is commonly refered to as the Anti Knock Index, or AKI.
The RON and MON are determined by separate ASTM laboratory tests. Low-speed, low load knock characteristics are determined by the RON test method and high-speed, high heat, high load characteristics are determined by the MON test method. Again, the latter being more pertinent to racing applications.
Rich, feel free to correct away! Sorry for such blatant plagarism!:)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by BigLou
So I hope I get this correct

Looks good to me Lou :)

Top Bottom