Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
All,

I realize this is not Dirt Bike related but .................

I am in the market for a zero turn mower. I have scoured the internet looking for comparisons, been to many blogs and websites devoted to mowing (weird), and I am still not sure what I want.

So I ask you, the typical guy (or gal) for your opinions.

I have a little over one acre, no real hills, and lot of trees of varies sizes.

Take it from there my friends.

Mully

PS: (to make this a dirt bike thread) If I could pull the mower behind my bike I would :nener:

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I can't say from personal experience. But my son worked at a commerical Grasshopper dealer over the summer. He did ever thing from sharpen blades to overhaul diesel engines. He was able to test mow with everything that came in the shop. His conclusion was that the John Deere diesel was the best. They mowed cleaner and faster than any other. Keep in mind that 95% of the mowers that came through the shop where 20+hp commerical mowers. Stay away from the ones with suspension they ride worst than the ones without because they have appear to have no damping.
Beware of the cheaper mowers that have the sealed hydro drive boxes. You can't change the hyd. fluid. They are throw away mowers.
Front decks are better for mowing under low lying limbs and bushes but tend to spin worst in off camber and rougher terrain. Mid decks handle the rougher terrain a little better but you can't get under limbs and bushes as well.
That's my little dab of info i'm sure you will get more.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
http://www.dixiechopper.com/

But seriously, I have a Toro 42" that I have been happy with for 3 years now (did have to replace the battery after overwintering without a float charger). It gets the job done in half the time that my last mower could. Half acre, flat except for the ditch out front, a few obstacles to navigate around.

Now for others to give their opinions on what they like.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I second the Dixie Chopper thing. They're badass and built in Indiana. Actually right down the road from where my track is.

Kill two birds, come ride, and go tour the plant..

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Dixie Chopper and Grasshopper are both top notch. I mow nearly 3 acres at a time and I have a Poulan Pro. It is 26 HP Vtwin with a 54" front deck. For the price this is a good mower. If I were using it commercially, I would have looked harder at the top tier mowers. Mideastrider points out the pros/cons nicely.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Steer clear, of the home owner mowers, typically sold at the big 3 rip off handy stores. If shopping for a mower, go to the heart, a farm equipment supply house. I have found no mower/tractor, that will live through rough terrain, or really heavy cuts, THEY ALL WILL DIE, when abused! A quality unit, will offer, quality attachments, easily switched, to deal with each task. The mower deck construction, and gauge of material, tells the story, of the rest of the equipment. My currant trail machine, a late 70's, Cub Cadet, vintage, and in pretty good shape, with a solid cast iron, 16 HP Kohler engine. After 81, forget this brand name ever existed! IF, I was shopping for a newer unit, I would seriously look into what brand and type of engine powers it, Honda or Kawasaki, in that order. If you are NEVER going to use it, for anything but cutting flat grass, then go for the zero turn, joy stick controlled, commercial units, from the same farm equipment sales shops. And just like our bikes, the shop, is VERY important! No, Greg at Service Honda, sadly does not carry any, yet!

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
Walker with 2 levers for independant forward and reverse of each drive wheel is what my mowing contractor friend has settled on (and a grease gun for the 15 odd grease nipples) he wore out husquvarna and 2 other pivot steer mowers first and did a lot of swearing pre walker days, since I'm from the other side of the world this may not be relevent but hope it helps

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
SCAG
We have the tiger cat! Love it. Stay away from the Harry homeowner mowers.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
After much research I went with a left over 2010 DixieChopper Iron Eagle 44 inch cut. The price was reduced to 3995.00 which is a great deal for this mower. Purchase was made at a dealer less then 15 miles from my house. After using the mower one time I am glad I went with the 44 inch deck and not something bigger. It mows perfectly for the number of trees and the couple of elevation changes. Now all I have to do is put some dirt bike stickers on it and I am good to go. :laugh:

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Sweet.. Those things are very nice.

I saw one at a dealer nearby that has a 4 cyl Cat Diesel in it. The front tires were almost the size as the typical rears..

It was a beast. 72" deck. I want.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Wolf said:
...but can you back flip it?

No, it has a really tall roll bar.

But Dixie Choppers are the fastest mowers in the world, at least according to their brochure.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
only for the foolhardy

Wolf said:
...but can you back flip it?
on nitro circuis they have a go and aslo flat landing jumps and one seriously hot one drifting an oval

Last edited:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
that fast moving business is of little use if you have a rough lawn :(

What did you have previously, Mully? And how does this one ride compared to that?

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
I had a 1993 White garden tractor. The old boy is getting long in the tooth to do my mowing. But will use it for its bagging abilities (fall leaves, pulling the roller, etc)

The new mower is much better. Cut my mow time down by an hour and I am not really going fast.

The ride is still bumpy in places with the new mower but what the heck, it was bumpy on the old boy too..........

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom