RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I have a problem and need to get rid of some snakes. They are just garter snakes but my wife is completely terrified of them. If she see’s one she’ll run screaming at the top of her lungs and won’t go outside for a few days. I try to hut it down and kill it but can’t always find them.

I know they are beneficial, eat bugs, more scared of you, blah, blah, blah but when someone is that terrified of them all reason goes out the door and I just want to be rid of them for her sanity and mine.

We live next to the woods and a small creek and that sure doesn’t help. I’ve used Snake Away that seems to work but is expensive after a while. I even bought some electronic devises that send a sonic wave into the ground to chase them away (at $100 a pop) but she saw a snake right next to one of them. They are sensitive to smell and will avoid mothballs, etc but I have a large area that wouldn’t smell too good with mothballs everywhere.

Is there a trap I can use? Some kind of poison? I don’t necessarily want to kill them but I have no problem doing so.

Thanks.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Maybe talk to a pest control company? Most of my ideas you have already tried. I guess if you have a mean old farm cat or two and you didn't feed them much it might help.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
We had a feral cat hanging around for a while with 2 kittens and I was hoping they would stay but they move around a lot and I think one of the neighbors started feeding them. That would have done the trick!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You could always get a little terrier, they seem to enjoy those types of hunts as well. As an added bonus it's NOT a cat! :cool: :cool:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
What you need are a few bigger snakes! :laugh:
They will help with population control~!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
we have an Australian Terror and it does love killing snakes (moles, mice, and rabbits) any chance she gets. Only problem she was eying up a skunk out back a couple days ago
bonus is she is as cute as can be and when not hunting or stealing something loves to curl up in a lap

Attachments

• IMG_2257 copy.jpg
    IMG_2257 copy.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 102

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
We have thought about a dog, we're both dog lovers, but my wife likes big dogs and we have become "part owners" with our neighbors Great Pyrenees. Our house isn't set up for a dog and I don't really like the hair, mess and schedule you need to keep. Call me selfish.

I have been looking at these glue snake traps and they look like they might help atleast to catch them. Has anyone tried them?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I had some glue traps for a mouse in the attic at my old place. The he outsmarted them by building a little bridge of insulation across the glue to eat the peanuts on 3 seperate glue traps! I decided it was now a war and got a big rat trap that about broke him in half.

I'm not sayin' snakes are anywhere near as smart as this mouse but it would seem a long shot catching a little snake in a big yard with a glue trap.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yeah, it's by chance that the snake goes into the trap. They say to put it where they have been seen but it's still a crap shoot. There is one out there that is baited with the smell of a mouse but it only can be used 3-4 times and then you buy another $55 trap. I may just get a bunch of traps and give it a shot anyway.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Wolf said:
I used glue traps for mice...it's a flawed trap. If the mouse only get's it's tail stuck it's still running around, just louder...

Been there. Done that. Not pretty. :ohmy:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That is why I used rat size glue traps for the mouse I had. I looked at the mouse sized ones and thought "I don't really know how big this mouse is and he might be dragging that thing around and get stuck and make a smelly mess..." Of course he outsmarted me and built the little bride of insulation but I won in the end with brute force :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I will be doing this my self this weekend.
I will be using an old weed wacker that smokes like a freight train. Running a pipe from the exhaust into the gofer/mole tunnels and gassing the suckers. I've used this trick in the past and it works. The CO is heavier the O2 and creeps into all of the little tunnel cavities. Use your dirtbike if you can find a hose that won't melt onto your silencer.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I have so many places where the snakes go that I'd have to gas the whole place. I do like the way you think though!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Obviously Brian has not watched Caddyshack enough times.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Like a Tootsie Pop the world may never know.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Patman said:
Obviously Brian has not watched Caddyshack enough times.
I don't have access to C4 or TNT so fumigation or lead poisoning works! .40 or .45 whatever it takes.:laugh:
Of course, if I had some of that hybrid Kentucky Blue grass and Cincimilla........

Top Bottom