yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
I recently bought a 99 yz400f and was wondering how often to change the oil and how often to change the oil filter. I am not racing just riding areound in the desert for now. Thank You

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
There's no such thing as changing the oil too frequently on a four stroke!

I always change oil on my trail bike after a weekend of riding - or every 200 miles.

There's options for filters. The stock ones are spendy, and if you change oil frequently, the aftermarket ones are fine. There's also the stainless filters. Check recent posts (about a week ago I think), there was a good discussion on the merits of different filters.

I change my filter every oil change. Some people aren't that anal. :)

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
I change my oil after every hard trail ride (due to clutch abuse) or every two MX practice sessions or every race. I only clean and inspect my filter, since it's a brass mesh screen. Take some contact or carb cleaner and spray from the inside out, inspect it for tears or dis-placed mesh and re-use it.

I use Mobil1 15-50w synthetic and that seems to be the concensus (synthetic) for the blue beast. Just make sure whatever oil you use, It does NOT say "EC" (energy conserving). The EC oil will fry your clutch:(

I've also considered for the money I've saved re-using my filter, an investment in the Scotts filter. It's supposed to filter finer particles and flow as much or more than the stock filter. And for a little added insurance, I have the Yamaha magnetic drain plug but, I hear the Ty Davis plug will hold a wrench....the magnet is that powerful.

Just my two cents and yes, I'll take change.

vetwfo'er

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
To add to the stack...ditto vetwfo'er on my VOR 503. Including the Mobil One 15w50. The oil has always come out looking like it just went in and the stainless steel mesh oil filter has yet to have a particle in it so the routine must be working. Changing the oil this frequently is cheap insurance. I realize that all of us could probably leave it in a little longer...buy why? Peace of mind is worth the $4.5 oil change every week.:)

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I just changed oil on my YZ after what I would consider "too long" (approx. 350 trail miles) and the 15w50 synthetic came out looking like when it when it went in. that stuff is awesome! I also reuse the stock oil filter after careful cleaning.:)

yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
Thanks alot guys. I am gonna try the 15-50w Mobil1 in my bike. I just got it and it has about 2 rides on it but they are nothing major. When you guys say every 2-3 ride is that hard riding or just "putting" around. Football season is starting soon and when I ride I kinda just go around a little track out in the desert but nothing hard. Also how much is a new filter for my bike. I got one with my bike when I bought it from this guy but dont want to use it yet if they are gonna cost me 15 bucks every 2 weeks.(I know im cheap) The guy said ihe changed the oil 2 times and then the third time put in a filter and it has 2 rides on it. The bike only has about 10 rides on it and 2 are from me so should it be ready for another filter? Thanks in advance.

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
Originally posted by vetwfo'er
I change my oil after every hard trail ride (due to clutch abuse) or every two MX practice sessions or every race. I only clean and inspect my filter, since it's a brass mesh screen. Take some contact or carb cleaner and spray from the inside out, inspect it for tears or dis-placed mesh and re-use it.

HHHMMMMM?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Filter

The stock metal mesh filter can be cleaned and reused many times. My method is to backwash it under a hot water tap and then blow it dry.

The fine mesh stainless Scotts filters sound good (haven't heard any bad) , but the finer mesh could also create a greater pressure drop across the filter. This shouldn't be of concern if the YZF has more than adequate oil pressure to begin with, but then I wonder why Yamaha sized the mesh the way they did. If Scotts has found a way to increase filter area, this would negate any pressure loss to some extent. How quickly the filter will clog is also a factor in determining mesh size (and area), but again, this shouldn't be of any concern after the YZF is broken in.

I spec out filters and the mesh size for industrial pumps by asking people's opinions (including the pump vendor) but sometimes, I just make my best guess.:eek:

These are just thoughts, not a recommendation one way or the other. In the end, keeping fresh oil in the beast is the more critical part of maintenance.

red rulz

Jul 19, 2001
Hey all
I dont have a four stroke.I was just wondering why you have to change the oil so often, every 200 km isn't even2 tanks of fuel on my bike. I never ride the clutch on my bike so i was wondering if you didn't abuse the clutch how long do you think it would go before needing an oil change? just wondering.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
I dont have a four stroke.I was just wondering why you have to change the oil so often, every 200 km isn't even2 tanks of fuel on my bike. I never ride the clutch on my bike so i was wondering if you didn't abuse the clutch how long do you think it would go before needing an oil change? just wondering.

The amount of times you change the oil is directly inverse to the amount of problems that begin showing up as the bike ages.

A four stroke uses it's oil for everything - lubrication of the tranny, valve train, piston/rod. It also does lots of the cooling - even in a water pumper.

A two stroke oil only takes care of the tranny and clutch - but "only" is a deceptive term here - you can do damage to a two stroke by not changing the oil also.

Even our two strokes see new tranny oil after a weekend of riding, or one race.

Top Bottom