domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
I hurt myself and I'm going to be down from riding for a while.The fuel in my bike has already been in there for 6 months. The doctor says probably another 6 before I can ride again. I was telling my friend,who owns a bike shop,that I planned on adding fuel stabilizer to my tank. He says 2-stroke oil acts as a stabilizer. I have not heard this before.... Any feedback?
I always run Golden Spectro... Thanx,Domino Dave

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
Drain the tank and the carb and if its been that long in the carb take it apart and clean the fuel gum out of your jets. always use only fresh gas.

D

MaicoCPA

Sep 5, 2006
Gasoline loses about 1 octane point every two weeks in a plastic container (like your tank) so that 92 octane you filled it up with 6 months ago is now like 80 octane. It's also no longer oxygenated. Like stated previously, always use fresh gas. Run that old premix in your lawn mower.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
MaicoCPA said:
Gasoline loses about 1 octane point every two weeks in a plastic container (like your tank) so that 92 octane you filled it up with 6 months ago is now like 80 octane. It's also no longer oxygenated. Like stated previously, always use fresh gas. Run that old premix in your lawn mower.

:laugh: >Keeps his in a steal safety can, its high octane all the time lol :nener:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Don't run the old fuel in your lawnmower--Put it in your pickup or mom's suv--works just like top end lube! Seriously, it is so diluted in a big fuel tank, it makes no difference. Do get the old fuel out of your motorcycle asap! Good fuel is important in all small engines, if you want them to perform and last! Cheers John

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
domino dave said:
I planned on adding fuel stabilizer to my tank.
After 6 months it is kinda too late. Drain your fuel tank and carb, and put it in your car the next time you fill it up.
He says 2-stroke oil acts as a stabilizer. I have not heard this before.... Any feedback?
I've heard that from another mechanic, but I don't really believe it. I don't know what's in Stabil, but I suspect it is a combination of solvents and dispersants to prevent gum formation. AFAIK, 2-stroke oil is not a solvent. I'm not a chemical engineer, so take this info with a grain of salt.

I always add Stabil to my gas can right at the gas station pump. I also label the gas can with "Date" and "Contents". I have too many bikes with too many different fuel requirements, coupled with feeble memory.

MaicoCPA

Sep 5, 2006
John Harris said:
Don't run the old fuel in your lawnmower--Put it in your pickup or mom's suv--works just like top end lube! Seriously, it is so diluted in a big fuel tank, it makes no difference. Do get the old fuel out of your motorcycle asap! Good fuel is important in all small engines, if you want them to perform and last! Cheers John

Putting old premix in my truck caused a premature catalytic convertor failure according to my mechanic who is also a dirt biker. As he explained: The oil in the premix fuel does not burn in the cylinders, it is expelled through the exhaust. A catlytic convertor is a big, hot piece of ceramic that burns any unburnt fuel when it passes through on it's way out the exaust pipe. The premix oil won't be completely burned by the cat. conv. but will attach to it and buildup occurs on the ceramic causing early failure.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
MaicoCPA said:
Putting old premix in my truck caused a premature catalytic convertor failure.
Not to dispute what your mechanic said, but I'm just curious: how much and how often did you put premix in your truck? How diluted was it with normal gasoline?

If I dilute 1 gallon of 50:1 premix with 20 gallons of normal gasoline, that yields 1000:1 gas-to-oil ratio, thus 20 gallons of gas will contain 2.5 oz of oil. 20 gallons lasts me about 1.5 weeks, so this is roughly equivalent to burning 1 quart of engine oil every 6 weeks. That consumption rate is not too far from high mileage older cars, but those older cars are burning oil all the time whereas I burn my old premix only occasionally. I agree it's not the greatest thing for my car, but it seems like the best way to get rid of old premix. I suppose it would be better to dilute premix even more.

BTW, I thought that the active ingredient in catalytic converters is platinum rather than ceramic?

MaicoCPA

Sep 5, 2006
blackduc98 said:
Not to dispute what your mechanic said, but I'm just curious: how much and how often did you put premix in your truck? How diluted was it with normal gasoline?

BTW, I thought that the active ingredient in catalytic converters is platinum rather than ceramic?

First off, I'm not a mechanic so I just went by what my mechanic said. I'm not sure diluting it makes much difference because the same amount of oil is going to eventually go through the cat. convertor regardless of the ratio. My truck (1996 Chevy S-10) had 80,000 miles when I had the CC failure in 2005, which my mechanic said would be considered a premature failure. So say over nine years I ran several quarts a year through; it would add up. I still run old premix in my truck. I figure I won't have it when it needs a new catalytic convertor at 160,000 miles.

Also, keep in mind, 2 stroke oil and motor oil are different. 2 stroke oil is formulated not to burn at cylinder operating temperatures. I don't know that that is true about motor oil.

Re: catalytic convertor technical details form Wikipedia: "The core, or substrate. In modern catalytic converters, this is most often a ceramic honeycomb, however stainless steel foil honeycombs are also used" AND "The catalyst itself is most often a precious metal. Platinum is the most active catalyst and is widely used."

Top Bottom