On Site (Field) File Storage Options

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
As some of y'all may know, I have become one with the Dual Sport world, pounding out the miles on El Puerco, getting intimate with this wonderful world we are blessed to have around us.

To date image storage, while on a trip, has not been a problem, but that is about to change. Too date, I have simply downloaded my images to my laptop whenever my 2 Gig cards got full.

We are taking two extended trips this year sans support, and I can see the challenge looming. West Texas (at 1250 miles adn 4 days) is possibly a issue but Mexico (at 2500+ miles and 9 days) is clearly beyond the storage capacity of my cards that I carry.

In Mexico, 100% of my shots will be shot RAW and Large JPEG, so even a 2 Gig card does not hold many (134) shots. Additionally, when on a trip like the one to Mexico, I could easily see shooting 2,500, or more, shots over the 9 day period.

I know you guys can shoot that or more in one day at the races and was wondering if you have dealt with this issue?

At this point the option I like best is one of these new ultra small lap tops. I just don't know how well they would take the beating and (more importantly) vibration. I expect the drives that are made to be used in the field are designed to accept more than average abuse.

Another thing I like about the laptop idea would be being able to sort images and delete the bad shots in the evenings, while sitting around chilling out.

Mexico is going to be a once in a lifetime trip and I intend to document it extensively. Too make matters worse, a friend will be with me that shoots professionally for a newspaper.

I asked him how he deals with it and he doesn't, as he is always up against a deadline anyway and never even fills his 256 Meg cards he uses. :)

Although it is another story, he also never shoots RAW, as it doesn't matter. I have to work on him, because he will be carrying a EOS 1D. :nod: I will have my 20D and G6.

All thoughts and musings will be greatly appreciated.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Prior to owning a laptop I used a Roadstor portable cd burner. It's a slow solution at about 25 mins per cd but you then have a solid backup of your files. It works simply by inserting your CF or other media into the device and hitting backup, no pc needed. The battery is rechargeable and also has a 12v adapter. Downside no LCD to preview images. The solution I was looking at prior to getting a laptop was the Epson P-2000 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=355953&is=REG&addedTroughType=search The LCD is amazing although only 3.8" so it's no laptop.

BTW, why Raw + Large jpeg? I understand shooting RAW but why take the extra space of Large Jpeg if you don't need something for quick edits to an editor?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Chili said:
BTW, why Raw + Large jpeg? I understand shooting RAW but why take the extra space of Large Jpeg if you don't need something for quick edits to an editor?

Thanks for the links ... I will check them out.

You know how it is, eveyone wants to see themselves in the camera, now that we have digital. Besides it has been "suggested" that is is good to show kids their photos, as many of them have never seen images of themselves (I'm talking Copper Canyon and Baja here). Many articles also suggest giving them a few pesos for allowing you to photograph them ...

I just checked my camera and with an empty 2 Gig card, it will hold 198 RAW photos (w/o any JPEG). I guess I could shoot a small JPEG as I would never use it except to show the kids or post on Smugmug ...

In any case, I will still need an external storage device. I am planning on getting at least 1 or two more large (2 Gig or better) cards before I go on the trip. That would push my daily capacity up to maybe 600 photos. I have assumed that I will actually let Chris borrow one of the CF cards as he has not been able to convince the paper to get him any bigger cards.

Of course, he might be able to get his hand on a handful or three of 256/512 cards, who knows. I should check the size/$$ issue of the various size cards as well. Somewhere in there is the best $/memory ratio.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If you go the laptop route, wrap it up in a blanket to isolate it from vibration. Also, carrying it in a backpack would help.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
My memory is a little fuzzy, but I know within the last year there have been some new devices to come out that were right around the $500 mark. Instead of a full laptop setup, it was essentially a hard drive with a small LCD screen on it. You could quickly transfer images to the drive and even view them on the screen if you wanted to. I think the screen was just designed to be a quick way of editing out poor shots. I wish I could remember the name of the device.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I just did a quick Google for "digital storage device LCD" and found this:

http://www.xpcgear.com/80gbdigitals.html

There are lots of these things out there. This one is 80 GB, measures 5" x 3" x 1" and only costs $178.99. You can plug a variety of memory cards into it as well as a USB2.0 port. Seems like a pretty slick way to go. Again, there are lots of these out there so maybe look around and see if you can find a great deal on one of these.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002

photojojo

Jun 10, 2006
SpamKiller: Your Post contains one or more links... please remove them before submitting your post.

Well I just spent about 45 minutes getting some info on storage devices and putting links in here for you...appears I can't post links...guess I missed that somehwere.

In a nutshell, from one of the pro-shooter sites I'm a member of most of them say the storage devices are slow and some have had problems with them losing the pics.

You said you needed a new laptop so that may be the way to go. Personally I would just get a few more 2 gig cards and call it good to go. You can always edit in the camera to a point.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
this is the way i would go . i have the archos av320 that has 20 gigs, but never needed the card reader accessory. this was years ago , im not up on them now but im sure they are even better now days .
http://www.archos.com/?country=global&lang=en

also they are plenty rugged enough as i use mine as the recording device for the helmet cam. it tthen double duties as my 20gig ipod

i would shop on their site , get the going rates from the online stores, then purchase from the auctioneers on the bay

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
ellandoh said:
this is the way i would go

Thaks for the heads up. I just perused the site and the 500 looks like a good deal.

ellandoh said:
also they are plenty rugged enough as i use mine as the recording device for the helmet cam.

So, do I understand you to say that all I would need is a camera? This unit will record directly from a helmet cam? That would be cool, very cool. I would love to capture some of the riding that we are going to be doing going down into Batopilas.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
im not up on the new stuff but i plug an adapter onto the av320 model and it will accept "rca jacks" then the lipstick cam, designed for security use, plugs into it. the av320 is rechargeable, and the lipstick cam is powered by a battery pack available from radio shack. everythings in a fanny pack that i keep in front for ease of starting/stopping footage and because most times i fall i roll once or twice til im in a position to stop with my feet :ohmy:

best thing is it is a portable hard drive and you can store anything on it, it will record tv with the rca adapter , watch movies etc. and they have a card reader which is what you will need unless the camera adapter would be of high enough quality for your tastes

i did have to wrap the rechargeable battery in some tape , then jam it in the slot to tighten it in for the larger jolts

edit: besides that you will need some industrial velcro for the helmet :ride:

photojojo

Jun 10, 2006
Now that is pretty cool. The Archos AV500 DVR can store your photos by connecting straight to the camera and has a lipstick camera option as well that hooks straight to the AV500 with no other video camera needed. Plus you can hook it to your TV and record whatever you want to watch later...even DVD's...100gb drive for $549

***BEWARE*** If you get one of these I will ask to borrow it.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
photojojo said:
***BEWARE*** If you get one of these I will ask to borrow it.

Don't worry, you will have to help tote it ... I will be getting one before we go to Mexico. I am going to bring my daughter's compact DVR as well ... plus my D20 ... plus chargers ... damn, I may have to leave some clothes at home ... :yell:

Top Bottom