overall bike/rear wheel length, chain slots

cw242

May 17, 2000
what is the effect of sliding the rear wheel completely forward or back in the chain slots? i mostly ride hare scrambles and my new chain came in a bit short, so it is mostly forward,, i know it will stretch quickly and thus be moved back a little in the slots,,,but it had me wondering what effect overall length has in terms of handing??? any ideas???? thanks craig williams jax,fl.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
CW 242,
Moving your chanin forward, changes the mechanical advantage of the spring to the wheel. Your spring is now effectively stiffer, your compresion is stiffer, and your rebound stiffer. Don't worry about it.. Rechaeck your sag and you'll be fine.

Regards,
Jer

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
I noticed that when my wheel was at its fully extended point, the bike was a lot more stable at speed with little reduction in turning capability.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I did the same thing on my 426 and pulled the wheel WAY up and I hated it.
The front end was twitchy and had some headshake. Ended up adding a link and it was back to normal.
Regards

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
JTT, your my savior, i love how you post a correction to everything i say. But, seriously... stop, or dont reference my stupidity and then correct it. I also knew that the reason my stability was better was becuz my wheelbase was bigger, I was pointing out that there wasnt a noticeable reduction in turning capability.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
My post was not intended to be a "correction", rather a clarification, being that wheelbase changes had yet been noted.

Top Bottom