Feb 25, 2001
When racing GNCC races do you need to run an oversized fuel tank? I've never raced 2 hrs. before :yikes:

Is it common to make pit stops during a GNCC race for fuel?

How long will a stock sized tank of fuel last on a 250 2-stroke?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've run 2 hour races on a stock tank but its a close call. If the course is fairly fast, you will be on the main jet more and will use up fuel more quickly. If the course is tight you will likely not have an issue. I ride with a 3.1 gal IMS tank on my 05 YZ. It takes getting use to it but I don't mind it. The tank will holds more gas than my butt can handle the seat!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
If really on the gas, my RM250 gets about 15MPG... more like 20MPG if trail riding.

I'd recommend IMS. I have had, and have seen, the Clarke's crack (thinner material.)

Feb 25, 2001
Is it common to make fueling/drink stops during harescramble races? I've never ridden 2 hours without a break. I do have a camelback im going to try and wear. Not sure how it will fit with a chest protector on though...

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
on your first long distance race remeber that you can't win unless you finish and only about 5 guys in the country can go 100% for the full race distance so pace yourself and sip your camelback before you are thirsty (every 5 mins after race start). You should stop and top up your fuel after 1 hour on a stock tank (my guess is you will have used about 2/3 of a tank by then) and plan to top up just over 1 gallon. Also hydrate before the race with lots of water for up 24 hours prior ( if you visit the boys room every 90 mins you are fully hydrated) and have one last nervous one 10 mins before race start, once you start racing you use the fluids up and sweat them out so should not need to ride cross legged. Dehydration gives you a head ache, dizzyness and dumbness at decision time so drink early. A filter skin is also a good idea if the day is dry and dusty (only fit the skin over 90% of the air filter so when you rip it off in a hurry the air filter is left proprerly in place. And above all else it is supposed to be fun so enjoy your fun and safe riding.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Good advice.^^^

I'm guessing it's not going to be really hot for your race this time of year. When hot I slam water for an entire week before a race/big ride... lots. You'll pee like crazy for the first couple days, then your body starts to absorb. Don't know how old you are, but the water intake use to be fine at a day or two beforehand, but I've found that the older you get requires much more prep.

Pace yourself, 2 hours can feel like all day.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The Honda Pilot said:
I do have a camelback im going to try and wear. Not sure how it will fit with a chest protector on though...

I started wearing a hydration pack on every ride I go on when I almost died from heat stroke & dehydration. I was about 5 miles from camp in 105 degree heat when the bike died. I was never so glad to see a park ranger when they saved my butt!

Just about everyone I know who desert races rides with a hydration pack. Of course, we all do desert enduros and you would die out there without water.

The chest protector shouldn't be any problem, just loosen the straps on the chest protector a bit. I know some people who route the drinking tube through the helmet but I just keep the hose where I can grab it during an easy section when I can afford to take a hand off the handlebars

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I added a zip tie to my chest protector bicep guard and ran the hose through it for easy access. I can reach down while riding and put it in my mouth. I don't like the ones that attach in the helmet. Having the bite valve right in front of my mouth was very distracting.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Depends on the riders skill level how much fuel your bike will use. If your running a 2hr GNCC race, that would be the morning race. 75% of the morning riders won't need a fuel stop on stock tank. That same 75% is going to get lapped by the leaders so that will make the race approx 10 miles less than the leaders. Fast A/AA/Pro riders will use 2gal an hour on a 250 2stroke everybody else will use less.
It is common to pit during Harescrambles for fuel/water. If you don't need fuel but want a drink make up a straw bottle with what ever drink you want and have someone hand it to ya at 1hour mark or something. Stick it in your mouth and keep riding. Keep a pair of clean goggles and gloves at your pit area also.
Hydration is key. Drink lots of fluids starting at lease a couple days before the race. I would wear a camel back for sure. Eating carb heavy foods helps too.
Good Luck

Feb 25, 2001
High Lord Gomer said:
I always used the gas stops as rest stops!

Lee, call me! Eight 0hhh 3 five ohh 7 866 five!

Your alive! Just talked to Barbara @ TNT about you on Saturday. I rode for my first time in 5 years!
Barbara says hi btw. She misses seeing you.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
decision time dumbness is tested and proven (for me anyway) and it first shows in subtle ways like a poor line choice or stall into a corner or the short man fall (needed to prop but legs not as long as bike is tall) at walking speed or the most anoying of all not noticing (engine rattles a bit more due to split coolant hose . footpeg slippy due to sprocket seal pumping oil on left foot) . I was lucky most times and didn't blow a motor so far. ff

Top Bottom