Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
This world is a rough place, David. There way too many situations for my feable mind to be able to handle. And sure, we can come up with scenarios and discuss how we would handle them, but until we are there...it's really hard to say how we would handle them.
I think it's best that we pray for better situations.

But, the abortion issue today is not centered around rare instances....it is about the avant gaurde way that America has accepted it as common and accepted. To side with the issue in the guise of a "womans right to choose" is so much BS, to me. Where is it that states this right of a woman, besides our ludicrous law?

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
SKR and Cal, I was not trying to imply that your religion was, I hope it did not come across that way... only that mine was growing up... you know "if you do this you go to Hell, if you do that you go to Hell" Scare tactics in order to make me do the right thing. I know I am a moral and good person and fear not meeting my maker.

SKR & Cal, I do have a question for you though. It is wrong in the bible to take a life right? What if a youn man has to pull the trigger in war? Is he wrong? how will he be judged?

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by Jaybird
but until we are there...it's really hard to say how we would handle them.

To side with the issue in the guise of a "womans right to choose" is so much BS, to me. Where is it that states this right of a woman, besides our ludicrous law?

We have though about and prepared for nuclear and chemical warefare but we are not there. Contingancies for the unthinkable is wise, look at the recent space shuttle disaster.... the contingancy plan was a plan ahead of time and put into action immediately. If they had not thought about it in advance the emotion of the loss would have made it harder.

We did not have a plan for 9.11.01 bbecause nobody thought it could happen to them... then it did. Guess what? We now have a contingancy plan for much worse.

As for where is it that states this right of a woman.... I don't know but until men start having to carry the babies I don't think it is our right to say they have to keep it. Sure we can be there in support of them, tell them we want to be a father or vice-versa.... but they have to carry the baby... or not.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by Thump
SKR & Cal, I do have a question for you though. It is wrong in the bible to take a life right? What if a youn man has to pull the trigger in war? Is he wrong? how will he be judged?

I knew this question would come up sooner or later, or "what if someone broke into your home and was attempting to murder you or a family member?"

The Bible does not instruct to sit back and let whatever happen, happen.  We are to turn the other cheek, but that is in a completely different context.  If we did not fight for our freedoms, how would we ever spread the word of the gospel?  Not only are they fighting (killing) for our freedoms, but for peace.  There are situations where peace cannot be obtained without consequences.  But that does not mean that the killing is done in the name of God.  God does not want to see a life lost.  Nor does he want man's soul to be in a lost state...but that doesn't mean that there will be no one in Hell.  By letting myself be killed in an incident like I described above, I would be doing my family a disgrace.  I would be removing the opportunity for myself to teach others of Christ and bring my family up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.  I must put God first in my life, and if someone is trying to take away that freedom to put God first, then I must resist it.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by zio
... and that "salvation" is based on faith alone, not actions- lest any man should boast...

Sorry, but I can't let this go.  Sorry if this is stepping over the boundaries.

It takes BOTH faith AND works, according to the Bible.

James 2:14-24

14: What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15: If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16: And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17: Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18: Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19: Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20: But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21: Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22: Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23: And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24: Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
It is wrong in the bible to take a life right? What if a youn man has to pull the trigger in war? Is he wrong? how will he be judged?

The word used in that particular commandment (Thou shall not kill) specifically refers to the deliberate act of murder, not self-defense.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Eph.2:8-9
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast."

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
We canb go back and forth all day long. For each verse you give, I can give another. That's not the way to debate the bible- pulling verses out of a book to prove a point.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by zio

The word used in that particular commandment (Thou shall not kill) specifically refers to the deliberate act of murder, not self-defense.
According to Cal's earlier post "The Bible says that no man has the right to take another man's life." Does the bible say that it is okay as self-defense?

Also some think otherwise, that it is not okay to go to war... it is against their religion and are we right for saying they are wrong?

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Yes sir.  Just like stated above in James.  Our faith is made perfect through our doing good works.  Take a look at the original Greek word for faith in that passage, and you will see that the definition is an obedient conviction.  Hence the obedience...action on our part.  When we have the faith that is required to be saved, we will be obedient to God's will and work for him, because we love him for what he has done for us.

The passage does not say belief only.  When one passage in the Bible says faith saves, and another says repentance saves, you can't pick one or the other, you have to credit BOTH, because the Bible cannont contradict itself.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by zio
We canb go back and forth all day long. For each verse you give, I can give another. That's not the way to debate the bible- pulling verses out of a book to prove a point.

I'll leave the subject alone on the boards.  If you want to talk, email me. corey@vci.net

If verses aren't given, then it's just your word against my word, or your opinion against my opinion.  My opinion doesn't amount to squat...it's what THE WORD says.

OK, I'm done.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
According to Cal's earlier post "The Bible says that no man has the right to take another man's life." Does the bible say that it is okay as self-defense?

Also some think otherwise, that it is not okay to go to war... it is against their religion and are we right for saying they are wrong?

Matt 19:18

He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness

I'm running out of responses without quoting alot of scripture, breaking out into sermons, or stepping on people's toes.  So I'll (at least attempt to) digress from the conversation on the board.  David, if you would like my views, feel free to email me.

corey@vci.net

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
man, you guys are moving fast here. How can I get any work done???

FWIW, my wife was a product (I hate that term) of a rape. I would hate to think about how my life would be if her mother had decided on an abortion.
Because of this we have often discussed under what scenarios abortion would be OK and I have to admit, there were times in my life where I was riding the fence. Take the abortion pill (RU-486?) The "morning after pill" I used to think this was a "safe alternative" because you would never really know if you were pregnant or not would you? My wife calls me out on it and asks "When does life begin according to the Word you say you base your life on?" BOOM, right between the eyes.

direct quote:

Psalm 139:13-16
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

How much of a hypocrite am I! We discussed what would we do if the unthinkable happened (my daughter or my wife raped, etc...) and honestly as Jaybird said, the child doesn't have the choice. Who am I to play God?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
David, I hardly think that the burden of carrying a child in the womb gives a woman the right to decide it's fate. How can you possibley use that as justification?
That life does not belong to her. It is part of the Creators humanity.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Any Buddhists here with an opinion on the new subject of abortion? ;)Guys, this is a good discussion. I can do with or without the religion. Either way, it's becoming a good thread & everyone seems to be handling it respectfully. I hope the rest of you didn't think I was pushing my religious views. Thump asked a question & I thought I had an answer (sort of). Out of respect for Okie's rules, I'll only give it out when asked.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
God Bless France, she's always there when she needs us.
Subject change :)

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
God Bless France, she's always there when she needs us.
Subject change :)

Okie, we probably needed to get back to a more neutral ground. Thanks for allowing us to share our views and thanks to everyone for keeping it civil. We have all hit on the hotbed of No-Nos but have managed the be respectful. I have seen too many of these discussions cause people to lose good friends.

Back on France - Do you think we could accidentally have a stray B-52 carpet bombing?

Top Bottom