DGMAX99

Dec 6, 2001
I am having problems with my home PC accessing WWW addresses. It attempts to load the site and will flash what appears to be the requested site on the screen for a second and then displays "Action Canceled", No page to display"..

"Finding site:Ie3.proxy.aol.com" is displayed in the lower left of the page while it is loading.

The same happens with AOL7, 8 or opening Internet Explorer in a separate window.

The problem appears to have started when first attempt to downloaded AOL 8.0 was performed around 10/16/2002.

I've tried all the typical help suggestions including, removing ALL AOL applications, reloading Windows Me, reloading AOL 7.0 from disk, updating and running repair on my MSIE 5.5, uninstalled and reinstalled AOL adapters, resetting the Internet options as instructed under AOL Browser help screens, etc…

Nothing has worked. There is no access to www based sites including AOL.com so the majority of the AOL help or hotlines are inaccessible.

AOL features such as email and what appears to be items from a AOL common or local server are working fine.

Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!!! (I'm posting this from my work PC).
>>>>
AOL with Dial-up
Dell 8100 1.5Ghz P4
Windows Me
MSIE 5.50.4134.0600IS is listed under my AOL system info.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Hrm, all I can suggest is get rid of your proxy settings. When in IE, go to tools, Internet Options, Connections. Then click on the LAN Settings tab. Make sure all those boxes are un-checked then hit ok. You should probably close IE then restart it after the changes. Hopefully this works, if not, call up AOL Tech support.

DGMAX99

Dec 6, 2001
Been there, done that. It didn’t help. It appears to be something that was rolled out with the new AOL 8.0 because I’m not the only one that is experiencing this problem. So far the AOL tech help has been limited to canned responses for Browser problems, where they just punch in the problem and read a "what to try" hit list.

I was hoping someone here at DRN may have seen this before.

I think your on track though, its got something to do with proxy settings, when everything was working I didn’t see the "ie3.proxy.aol.com" that pops up in the lower left of the blank page being loaded.

Thanks

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Do you have any entries in the "dial up and virtual private network' box on the connections page. Each entry will have its own settings page ('settings' button to the right - different than the LAN settings) - maybe thats where your proxy is hiding.

DGMAX99

Dec 6, 2001
My Windows Me may be a little different. I’m still at work but my wife pulled up the tab and said the "Use Proxy Server" block is not checked under the communication tab. "Auto Detect Settings" is set.

I will be leaving work around 1530 and will not be able to access DRN but my email will still work. After that time please send responses to DGMAX99@AOL.COM.

Thanks

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I'm not sure if I was clear or not. There will be similar looking settings pages for "the larger button labeled LAN SETTINGS" and ALSO if you have any listings in the box in the upper left of the connections page. Each dial up connection you have configured will have its OWN settings page. Click on a dial up connection and then the smaller button to the right that just says 'settings'.

DGMAX99

Dec 6, 2001
Yea, I understand but lets just say my wife is a little "PC challenged" when it comes to application and setup stuff. I will check it when I get home, for sure.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Be careful what you say on here about your wife! If she reads that you said she was "PC challenged," you may be a little "DB challenged" for a while!

Top Bottom