KDXJP

May 21, 2002
I went riding yesterday with my 90 KDX200 with a new #52 main and #1173 needle. It ran great for a while, but all of a sudden it started to bog a little in mid throttle. It also was hard to start, and finally I would not start it at all. I checked plug and it was white and wet(looked ok other than being wet). put a new plug in it and it still would not start! Drained carb and then it started, turn on gas(peacock) then it would bog and stop running.
So for my bike to run I had to turn the gas off and ride a little then turn it on enough to fill the bowl and on and on!
Is the Float stuck? no gas is coming out of overflow hoses, Dirt in the float valve?
Has anyone had this problem!
Maybe tonight I'll remove carb. Hopefully the problem will be noticeable. Those 2004 KDX's are sounding pretty good right now!

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Maybe you will throw it out to the curb like an old lawnmower! People do it around here all the time.... just because they don't want to change a plug or find out what it's doing! :)

If you do..... let me know.....

KDXJP

May 21, 2002
It won't be out on the curb anytime soon! At $3995.00 MSRP WOW! I'll find the Problem! Most likely the part will be under $50. I did Buy a new KDX 200 back in 1995 and it was $1650.00 and thats with a team Green Bell Moto 4!
I bought my 1990 used in 1996 and it sat for 3.5 yrs. don't ask why(Job,kids).
Yea, I know petcock not peacock! I'll let you know what I find!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I think you're on the right track. Check you float and blow-out the vent lines.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Problem here seems to be either the float or the float valve. You are just flooding, flooding and flooding. By cutting off the petcock, you are doing the job of the float valve. Your float may have died (most likely by getting a leak in it so it does not float) or the float valve (needle) is badly not doing its job by being stuck open or completely out of position. Take that carb apart. You will find the problem!

KDXJP

May 21, 2002
Thanks Guys!
Yesterday I was ready to tear down the carb, but I tried to start it and it fired on the first kick!!! I ran it around the yard for about a half hour slow and fast. It ran great! JUST LIKE A KDX SHOULD! Im going to replace the vent lines because they are old,yellow,dirty, and not flexable like me! Then see what happens this weekend. My guess is what John said (a stuck float or valve). If it happens again I'll tap the side of the carb with a screwdriver handle!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's the sitting for 3 1/2 years that likely led to the issue in the first place.

Likely it will happen again, too.

You'd be better off fixing the problem (notwithstanding the screwdriver handle idea).

Here's a scenario for you:

Your float needle sticks due to varnish buildup. Your bike runs more and more lean as the fuel level gets lower. You may well get to the place that due to being too lean, you get auto-ignition happening....the bike won't shutoff even with the kill switch pressed thru the bars.

Take the bowl off, remove the float/needle. Using a q-tip and a strip of wet-n-dry sandpaper (say 400 grit) wrapped over the q-tip, burnish the needle seat.

If your needle has any depression in the tip, replace it.

Verify your float level to spec.

Have a safe ride (minus the white-knuckle-WOT-when-U-least-expect-it part)!

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
kdxjp, next time your gonna let the bike sit awhile. drain the gas. especially from float bowl. mine sat for 10 yrs. runs like the day i bought it. well a little better now.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom